Mighty Oaks Labor Day Weekend Sports Recap
Soccer teams bring home Barkeater's Cups; Women's cross-country team second
The Mighty Oaks cross-country teams opened their season at the SUNY Poly Short Course invitational, with the women's team finishing in second place overall and the men comining in fifth.
The ESF women finished behind a talented SUNY Oneonta team in the 4k race. Finishing first for ESF was sophomore Marissa Lathrop, who was sixth overall with a time of 17:08. Also scoring for the Mighty Oaks were sophomore Erin Cuddihy (17th - 17:40), freshman Eden Zickler (18th - 17:43), senior Samantha Hollister (22nd - 18:27) and sophomore Hailey Smalley (24th - 18:42).
The men's team faced strong competition from several other schools in the 6k race but was able to finish a respectable fifth place out of 11 teams. Scoring first for the men's team was senior Michael Persson in 15th place with a time of 20:17. Other top finishers for the men's team were juniors Dana Carris (22nd - 20:47), Ryan Shaw (30th - 21:12) and Mitchell Thomas (32nd - 21:17).
Both teams will be back in action at the SUNY Oswego Invitational Saturday, Sept. 10.
The men's and women's soccer teams traveled to Paul Smith's College for the annual Barkeater's Cup and came away with big wins. The women's team earned a 6-0 win over the Bobcats. The Mighty Oaks notched five goals in the first half to put the Bobcats away early. Senior Heather Carl had a three goals and junior Lauren Archer had one goal and an assist for ESF.
The men's team, in its opening game of the season, looked strong in a 5-0 victory. Senior Zack Reda scored two goals and had one assist for ESF. Jean Carlos Barrientos, a transfer student fron SUNY Cobbleskill, also scored a goal in his first game with the Mighty Oaks.
The women's team improves to 2-0 and will face William Smith College Thursday, Sept. ,8 while the men will take the field again against SUNY Delhi Sunday, Sept. 11.
- ESF Professor Receives National Forestry Award
- Nature and Health Come Together at Syracuse VA Medical Center
- Mighty Oaks Athletes Earn Honors
- USCAA National Championships Recap
- Mighty Oaks Compete in Conference Tournaments
- Community Stewards to Receive ESF’s Feinstone Award
- ESF Hosts Inaugural SUNY Leaders Sustainability Summit
- AIC’s Artist-in-Residence to Be Featured in ESF Show
- Princeton Review Again Ranks ESF No. 2 among Nation’s ‘Green Colleges’
- SUNY, W.K. Kellogg Foundation Announce Grant for Sustainable Village and Learning Community in Haiti
- ‘Moonlighting’ Focuses on E.O. Wilson’s Half-Earth Project
- ESF Golfers Take to Links in Players Championship
- Newcomb Campus Hosts Artist in Residence
- Soccer Teams Win Big on Senior Day
- Snails Bred in ESF Lab Help Species Crawl Back from Brink of Extinction
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210