Mighty Oaks Weekend Recap - Oct. 23
Soccer teams finish the regular season undefeated in conference play
The ESF men's and women's soccer teams swept their Hudson Valley Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (HVIAC) foes this season, going undefeated in conference play.
The women's team closed out conference play with a 4-0 win over Pratt Institute. Senior Jessie Smith opened up scoring at the 21st minute. Senior Shannon Gordinier followed up with another goal four minutes later, assisted by senior Lauren Archer. Archer then found the back of the net at the 31st minute, giving ESF a 3-0 at lead halftime. Senior Natalee Wrege added another goal shortly after the start of the second half and the Mighty Oaks went on to win 4-0.
The women's team finished the regular season 4-0 in conference play, 9-2 overall. The Mighty Oaks will be the number one seed and face the King's College in the first round at the HVIAC Conference Tournament, Oct. 29-30, at Albany Pharmacy.
The men's team finished its regular season with back-to-back conference games. In the first game against the Cannoneers of Pratt Institute, the Mighty Oaks ran away with a 6-0 win. Sophomore Luke Day had two goals in the first half and finished the game with a hat-trick. Sophomore Joe Kulikowski also added two goals. Senior Matt Murray had two assists.
The following day, the Mighty Oaks faced off against the Berkeley College Knights. The Knights weren't going to let ESF off easy, blanking the Mighty Oaks with three first-half goals, including a brilliant goal off a free kick by freshman Omario Rosen. Down 3-0 at half time, the Mighty Oaks did not give up. Six minutes into the second half, a pass by senior Geoff Golick found a cutting Day, who tapped the ball into the back of the net, giving ESF its first goal of the match. Ten minutes later, sophomore Mickael Myagkota blasted a shot past the Knights keeper, making the score 3-2. Five minutes later, the match took an interesting turn when Kulikowski maneuvered a shot into the goal tying up the game, 3-3. Kulikowski scored the game winner at the 69th minute off a pass from sophomore Cooper Weinman. The Knights scrambled, trying to tie up the game but a stoic Mighty Oaks defense and solid net minding by freshman keeper Carmine Tronolone held off any chance for a Berkeley College equalizer.
With the win, the Mighty Oaks clinched the No. 1 seed at the HVIAC conference tournament and will play the College of New Rochelle in the first round of tournament play. The men's squad finishes the regular season with a 9-0 conference record, 11-4 overall record.
The ESF Woodsmen's team was also in action over the weekend at Paul Smith's College. The men's and women's teams both placed second in their respective divisions. The team reunites for its annual home meet Nov. 4 in Tully, New York.
- Dr. James Gibbs Named SUNY Distinguished Professor
- ESF Students Place Second in SU ‘Impact Prize’ Competition
- ESF Researcher, Ph.D. Candidate Attend First Bioeconomy Conference
- ESF Professor Receives National Forestry Award
- Nature and Health Come Together at Syracuse VA Medical Center
- Mighty Oaks Athletes Earn Honors
- USCAA National Championships Recap
- Mighty Oaks Compete in Conference Tournaments
- Community Stewards to Receive ESF’s Feinstone Award
- ESF Hosts Inaugural SUNY Leaders Sustainability Summit
- AIC’s Artist-in-Residence to Be Featured in ESF Show
- Princeton Review Again Ranks ESF No. 2 among Nation’s ‘Green Colleges’
- SUNY, W.K. Kellogg Foundation Announce Grant for Sustainable Village and Learning Community in Haiti
- ‘Moonlighting’ Focuses on E.O. Wilson’s Half-Earth Project
- ESF Golfers Take to Links in Players Championship
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210