Centennial Hall Construction Update
Final modular unit set in place
The last of the 184 modular units that are being used to construct ESF's first residence hall has been put in place, completing a major phase of the construction project.
Modular construction was used for the residence hall, called Centennial Hall in honor of the upcoming 100th anniversary of ESF's founding in 1911, in part because it allows for less construction waste and fewer delays caused by weather. The goal was for the modular units to be assembled before harsh weather set in so work on the interior of the residence hall could be done through the winter. As it happens, the last unit was set in place on the east end of the building just days before the first major snowfall of the season began to drop some two feet of snow on the Syracuse area. It is believed to be the largest modular construction project that has occurred in Central New York.
Landscaping and final exterior work are planned for the spring and summer of 2011, allowing ESF students to move into the building for the start of the fall semester.
Construction of Centennial Hall, overseen by national student housing developer Allen & O'Hara and local contractor Hueber Breuer, began in May along Oakland Street, just west of the main ESF campus. The $31.4 million building is being constructed by the ESF College Foundation, Inc., which supports the college's educational mission. The foundation will operate the facility. The work is funded by financing provided through the Onondaga Civic Development Corp. and TD Bank.
The 452-bed facility designed by WTW Architects of Pittsburgh and HKK Architects of Syracuse will house 280 freshmen and 172 upperclassmen.
Recent ESF News
- 2018 Fall Sports Preview
- ESF Stages Exhibits at New York State Fair
- NYC Students Learn Hands-on Science
- Study in ‘Nature’ Details Global Land Change
- ESF, Ichor Therapeutics Team Up to Combat Age-related Illness
- Wagner Receives College Foundation Teaching Award
- Dr. Timothy Volk Named Exemplary Researcher at ESF
- ESF Professor Appointed to International Board on Lake Ontario
- Society of American Foresters Plays Key Role in Student’s ESF Experience
- ESF Staff, Faculty Honored by SUNY Chancellor
- SUNY Board of Trustees Appoints Interim President of ESF
- ESF Student Wins at COINS Grand Challenge
- ESF Students Return from Puerto Rico
- AEC’s McNulty Named President of OBFS
- Former ESF Cross Country Coach Inducted into USCAA Hall of Fame
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210