Pack Forest Series: 'Start of Camp'
ESF has practiced experiential learning from the beginning
The video associated with this story has been removed. Contact email@example.com if you need further information.
"You cannot do forestry without being out in the woods." - ESF Provost Bruce Bongarten
Pack Forest near Warrensburg, N.Y., is one place where forestry students gained their hands-on experience, much of which was documented in films created by Professor Svend Heiberg between 1930 and 1950.
Throughout April, we'll highlight some of that film footage each week. We begin the Pack Forest Series with a piece called, "Start of Camp."
Pack Forest, in the southern Adirondacks, is now home to an environmental camp for teenagers. It has been operated by the New York state Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) since1998.
The camp is on 2,500 acres of woodlands in Warren County. The property includes an 85-acre lake and countless miles of trails leading to mountain vistas, marshes and the banks of the Hudson River. The DEC is using the property under an agreement with the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry, which owns the land. Pack Forest was named after Charles Lathrop Pack, an Adirondack landowner who donated the land to the College to be used for research and training in the field of environmental studies.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Stages Exhibits at New York State Fair
- NYC Students Learn Hands-on Science
- Study in ‘Nature’ Details Global Land Change
- ESF, Ichor Therapeutics Team Up to Combat Age-related Illness
- Wagner Receives College Foundation Teaching Award
- Dr. Timothy Volk Named Exemplary Researcher at ESF
- ESF Professor Appointed to International Board on Lake Ontario
- Society of American Foresters Plays Key Role in Student’s ESF Experience
- ESF Staff, Faculty Honored by SUNY Chancellor
- SUNY Board of Trustees Appoints Interim President of ESF
- ESF Student Wins at COINS Grand Challenge
- ESF Students Return from Puerto Rico
- AEC’s McNulty Named President of OBFS
- Former ESF Cross Country Coach Inducted into USCAA Hall of Fame
- ESF Welcomes Camp Fire Professor of Wildlife Conservation
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210