Pack Forest Series: 'Start of Camp'
ESF has practiced experiential learning from the beginning
"You cannot do forestry without being out in the woods." - ESF Provost Bruce Bongarten
Pack Forest near Warrensburg, N.Y., is one place where forestry students gained their hands-on experience, much of which was documented in films created by Professor Svend Heiberg between 1930 and 1950.
Throughout April, we'll highlight some of that film footage each week. We begin the Pack Forest Series with a piece called, "Start of Camp."
Pack Forest, in the southern Adirondacks, is now home to an environmental camp for teenagers. It has been operated by the New York state Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) since1998.
The camp is on 2,500 acres of woodlands in Warren County. The property includes an 85-acre lake and countless miles of trails leading to mountain vistas, marshes and the banks of the Hudson River. The DEC is using the property under an agreement with the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry, which owns the land. Pack Forest was named after Charles Lathrop Pack, an Adirondack landowner who donated the land to the College to be used for research and training in the field of environmental studies.
- Dr. James Gibbs Named SUNY Distinguished Professor
- ESF Students Place Second in SU ‘Impact Prize’ Competition
- ESF Researcher, Ph.D. Candidate Attend First Bioeconomy Conference
- ESF Professor Receives National Forestry Award
- Nature and Health Come Together at Syracuse VA Medical Center
- Mighty Oaks Athletes Earn Honors
- USCAA National Championships Recap
- Mighty Oaks Compete in Conference Tournaments
- Community Stewards to Receive ESF’s Feinstone Award
- ESF Hosts Inaugural SUNY Leaders Sustainability Summit
- AIC’s Artist-in-Residence to Be Featured in ESF Show
- Princeton Review Again Ranks ESF No. 2 among Nation’s ‘Green Colleges’
- SUNY, W.K. Kellogg Foundation Announce Grant for Sustainable Village and Learning Community in Haiti
- ‘Moonlighting’ Focuses on E.O. Wilson’s Half-Earth Project
- ESF Golfers Take to Links in Players Championship
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210