SUNY-ESF Helps Restore Rippleton Schoolhouse
Historic Cazenovia structure
SUNY-ESF’s Faculty of Landscape Architecture played a role in the restoration of the historic Rippleton Schoolhouse, which was relocated to Lorenzo House in Cazenovia, N.Y. from it the Niles Homestead, also in Cazenovia.
Scott Shannon, associate professor and landscape architect, developed the landscape restoration plan. Members of the Faculty of Landscape Architecture conducted the cultural landscape report (CLR), having developed groundbreaking standards with the National Park Service for such studies. This was the first CLR ever to be undertaken at any of New York State’s 35 historic sites within the Bureau of Historic Sites. The CLR identifies historic qualities of the Lorenzo landscape and provides a comprehensive document for planning any future site projects.
The schoolhouse was built circa 1812 on Rippleton Road. Along with its life as a schoolhouse, the building also did stints as a woodworker’s shop, a private residence and a chicken coop.