Discover your world with ESF at the New York State Fair
College hosts hands-on activities, highlights research at the fair
SYRACUSE, N.Y. - Make paper, sample liquid nitrogen ice cream, discover the power of water, make a birdfeeder, and learn about the latest in the environmental sciences. These are just a few of the things you can do and learn at the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry's (ESF) exhibit at the New York State Fair Aug. 21 through Sept. 1.
The college will be at the fair with different activities, exhibits and demonstrations for visitors of all ages beginning at 10 a.m. daily at the ESF tent located in the New York State Parks at the State Fair area in front of the Horticulture Building.
The schedule of events is as follows:
Thursday, Aug. 21 and Friday, Aug. 22 - Where in the World is ESF?
The Office of Research Programs will highlight research ESF is conducting around the globe.
Saturday, Aug. 23 and Sunday, Aug. 24 - Water Works
The Department of Environmental Resources and Forest Engineering will give fairgoers the opportunity to experience what water is capable of doing.
Monday, Aug. 25 - Environmentally Friendly Arts & Crafts
Take a break from the hubbub of the fair and bring the kids over for some environmentally themed activities, including making pinecone birdfeeders and CD locker magnets.
Tuesday, Aug. 26 - From Molecules to Ecosystems
The Department of Environmental and Forest Biology will have information, exhibits, hands-on materials and answers to fair-goers' questions on interest areas including biotechnology, aquatic and fisheries science, entomology, and invasive plant species.
Wednesday, Aug. 27 - Forest for the Trees
Learn about trees commonly found in New York State and about the Department of Forest and Natural Resources Management at ESF. Tree seedlings will be available along with planting information. Activity booklets and crayons will be available for children.
Thursday, Aug. 28 - The Wonders of Chemistry
Kids can learn the science behind liquid nitrogen ice cream or make slime with ESF's Department of Chemistry.
Friday, Aug. 29 - Make Your Own Paper
Make hand-made paper with ESF's Department of Bioprocess and Paper Engineering.
Saturday, Aug. 30 through Monday, Sept. 1 - Environmentally Friendly Arts & Crafts
Join ESF for environmentally themed activities, including pinecone birdfeeders and CD locker magnets.
ESF's exhibit is made possible through a cooperative agreement with New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation.
The college will also have an exhibit about its alternative energy research in the Vision New York exhibit located in the Center of Progress Building Aug. 21 through Aug. 29. An exhibit on ESF's biomass research will be located in the Horticulture Building 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 23 and Sunday, Aug. 24.
More ESF News
- SUNY Board of Trustees Appoints Interim President of ESF
- ESF Student Wins at COINS Grand Challenge
- ESF Students Return from Puerto Rico
- AECís McNulty Named President of OBFS
- Former ESF Cross Country Coach Inducted into USCAA Hall of Fame
- ESF Welcomes Camp Fire Professor of Wildlife Conservation
- ESF Students Join Efforts to Rebuild Puerto Rico
- ESF Lists Top 10 New Species for 2018
- Mortarboards Fly and Students Become Alumni
- ESF Announces Career Fellows for 2018
- ESF Students Named SUNY Scholar-Athletes
- 14 ESF Students Set for Volunteer Work in Puerto Rico
- ESF Announces Commencement Weekend Activities
- ESF Honors Conservation Scientist Eleanor J. Sterling
- Researchers Find Whole Genome Duplication Has Occurred Many Times during Evolution of Insects
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210