Family Celebrates ESF Legacy
ESF and military service are hallmark of Shearer family
Thomas D. Shearer Jr, '49, shares educational and military background with his three sons. He shared this information:
"My three sons followed me and attended the College of Environmental Science and Forestry. I graduated with many military veterans of World War II in the general forestry class of 1949. My sons, Thomas D. Shearer, class of 1978; Daniel C. Shearer, class of 1981; and Richard D. Shearer, class of 1982, each graduated with a forest engineering degree. My sons also followed my example and gained military experience in the U.S. Air Force. Thomas earned the rank of colonel; Richard, major; and Daniel, captain.
I am retired after 54 years with the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation. During those years I had casual business contact with 14 graduates of the 1949 class and two college professors. At the present time, my son Thomas continues affiliation with the U.S. Air Force. Richard is employed with the NYS DEC, and Daniel serves with ARINC Engineering Services LLC, Annapolis, Md."
Our most memorable ESF experience involves the many outstanding individuals at the college and the lasting friendships established.
Pictured, from left, are Thomas D. Shearer III, class of 1978, forest engineering; Richard D. Shearer, class of 1982, forest engineering; Thomas D. Shearer, class of 1949, general forestry; and Daniel C. Shearer, class of 1981, forest engineering."
- ESF Alumnus Begins Peace Corps Service
- Travis Lecture Focuses on Restoring Giant in Galapagos
- Dream Becomes Reality for ESF Senior
- Summer on the Farm
- Workshop Highlights Role of Citizen Science in Battling Microplastics
- U.S. News Ranks ESF among the Best
- ESF Receives STARS Gold Rating For Sustainability Progress
- ESF No. 2 on Sierra Magazine’s ‘Cool Schools’ List for 2016
- Research Team Probes Health Effects of Onondaga Lakebed Sediment
- ESF among the Best, Princeton Review Says
- N.Y. Lieutenant Governor Joins ESF Leaders for Lab Openings
- Syracuse Poster Project on Display at Moon Library
- ESF Welcomes Strong Class for Fall 2016
- Alumna's Career Changes But Environmental Focus Remains
- Yoga Peaks Revitalizes Mind and Body
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210