Family Celebrates ESF Legacy
ESF and military service are hallmark of Shearer family
Thomas D. Shearer Jr, '49, shares educational and military background with his three sons. He shared this information:
"My three sons followed me and attended the College of Environmental Science and Forestry. I graduated with many military veterans of World War II in the general forestry class of 1949. My sons, Thomas D. Shearer, class of 1978; Daniel C. Shearer, class of 1981; and Richard D. Shearer, class of 1982, each graduated with a forest engineering degree. My sons also followed my example and gained military experience in the U.S. Air Force. Thomas earned the rank of colonel; Richard, major; and Daniel, captain.
I am retired after 54 years with the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation. During those years I had casual business contact with 14 graduates of the 1949 class and two college professors. At the present time, my son Thomas continues affiliation with the U.S. Air Force. Richard is employed with the NYS DEC, and Daniel serves with ARINC Engineering Services LLC, Annapolis, Md."
Our most memorable ESF experience involves the many outstanding individuals at the college and the lasting friendships established.
Pictured, from left, are Thomas D. Shearer III, class of 1978, forest engineering; Richard D. Shearer, class of 1982, forest engineering; Thomas D. Shearer, class of 1949, general forestry; and Daniel C. Shearer, class of 1981, forest engineering."
- What Species Is Most Fit for Life? All Have an Equal Chance, Scientists Say
- The Ocean Is Losing Its Breath — Here’s the Global Scope
- Governor Unveils Plan to Protect N.Y. Lakes from Harmful Algal Blooms
- Acorns to Action Strives to Help Victims of Natural Disasters
- Synthetic Protein Could Be Key in Battle against Disease
- Hurricanes Hit, so Ph.D. Candidate Gets to Work in Puerto Rico
- ESF Student Part of First-Place Team in Hult Prize Competition
- Zachary Smith's Commencement Speech
- Commencement Celebrates 'Stumpies...Because We Care'
- ESF Alumna Named Schwarzman Scholar
- ESF Celebrates December Commencement
- ESF Discovery Could Advance Cancer Research
- Senior Accomplishes Goal: ‘Publish in a Journal’
- ESF Students Participate in SEA Semester Program
- ESF President Joins NY Botanical Garden as ‘Distinguished Counsellor’
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210