Family Celebrates ESF Legacy
ESF and military service are hallmark of Shearer family
Thomas D. Shearer Jr, '49, shares educational and military background with his three sons. He shared this information:
"My three sons followed me and attended the College of Environmental Science and Forestry. I graduated with many military veterans of World War II in the general forestry class of 1949. My sons, Thomas D. Shearer, class of 1978; Daniel C. Shearer, class of 1981; and Richard D. Shearer, class of 1982, each graduated with a forest engineering degree. My sons also followed my example and gained military experience in the U.S. Air Force. Thomas earned the rank of colonel; Richard, major; and Daniel, captain.
I am retired after 54 years with the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation. During those years I had casual business contact with 14 graduates of the 1949 class and two college professors. At the present time, my son Thomas continues affiliation with the U.S. Air Force. Richard is employed with the NYS DEC, and Daniel serves with ARINC Engineering Services LLC, Annapolis, Md."
Our most memorable ESF experience involves the many outstanding individuals at the college and the lasting friendships established.
Pictured, from left, are Thomas D. Shearer III, class of 1978, forest engineering; Richard D. Shearer, class of 1982, forest engineering; Thomas D. Shearer, class of 1949, general forestry; and Daniel C. Shearer, class of 1981, forest engineering."
- Millions of Native Orchids Flourish at Former Mining Waste Site
- Two ESF Students Earn SUNY Chancellor’s Award
- ESF Students Share Tips to a Greener Life
- ESF Celebrates Earth Week
- Ian Shapiro Named Green Building Advocate of the Year
- Closed-Loop Art: Woodburner Uses Material at Hand
- ESF Hosts Photo Exhibit of Migratory Birds along Onondaga Lake
- Study Examines Conditions for Growing Young Chestnuts
- Cultural Education
- AIC’s Artists-in-Residence to Be Featured in ESF Show
- Scientists Honored for Study on Improving Odds for Bats' Survival
- ESF Earns ‘Tree Campus’ Distinction
- Earth Day Event Focuses on Environmental Justice
- Spirit and Essence Banquet Highlights Diversity Week
- Oakie Acorn Falters in Mascot Madness
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210