Family Celebrates ESF Legacy
ESF and military service are hallmark of Shearer family
Thomas D. Shearer Jr, '49, shares educational and military background with his three sons. He shared this information:
"My three sons followed me and attended the College of Environmental Science and Forestry. I graduated with many military veterans of World War II in the general forestry class of 1949. My sons, Thomas D. Shearer, class of 1978; Daniel C. Shearer, class of 1981; and Richard D. Shearer, class of 1982, each graduated with a forest engineering degree. My sons also followed my example and gained military experience in the U.S. Air Force. Thomas earned the rank of colonel; Richard, major; and Daniel, captain.
I am retired after 54 years with the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation. During those years I had casual business contact with 14 graduates of the 1949 class and two college professors. At the present time, my son Thomas continues affiliation with the U.S. Air Force. Richard is employed with the NYS DEC, and Daniel serves with ARINC Engineering Services LLC, Annapolis, Md."
Our most memorable ESF experience involves the many outstanding individuals at the college and the lasting friendships established.
Pictured, from left, are Thomas D. Shearer III, class of 1978, forest engineering; Richard D. Shearer, class of 1982, forest engineering; Thomas D. Shearer, class of 1949, general forestry; and Daniel C. Shearer, class of 1981, forest engineering."
- Student-Athletes Honored at Annual Banquet
- Army Touches Down at Ranger School for Training Mission
- ESF Professor's New Book Looks at What Makes Something 'Alive'
- Ducks Unlimited Lists ESF among 'Sweet 16' Collegiate Chapters
- Trees Cope with Harsh Conditions, Surprising Researchers
- ERE Professor Focuses Sabbatical on GIS Technology
- Dr. Jack Manno, Cindy Squillace Honored with Racial Justice Award
- Mighty Oaks Hoops Play at the Dome
- ESF Celebrates Darwin and Wallace Feb. 15
- ESF Joins SUNY Puerto Rico Task Force
- Dr. Myron Mitchell Appointed to EPA Advisory Committee
- ESF, SU Celebrate Darwin’s Birthday with ‘Collecting Evolution’
- Smile! You’re On Canid Camera
- ESF, SU Announce Partnerships with Initial Focus on Water and Environment
- ESF Enhances Institutionalization of Inclusion, Equity, and Diversity
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210