ESF Men's Soccer Team Wins Club Title
Penalty kicks clinched the victory for ESF in an upset win over Cornell
The SUNY-ESF men's soccer team won the Men's Collegiate Club Soccer Playoffs Nov. 1 with a dramatic win in penalty kicks over Cornell University.
The fourth-seeded ESF team worked its way into the tournament finals with a 2-1 upset win over SUNY Cortland, which shared the regular-season league championship with Cornell. Senior Nick Herrera-Cave scored both goals for ESF in that game.
Facing unbeaten Cornell in the final, ESF's high-pressure offense did not connect until the final two minutes of the match, when freshman Kevan Busa served a cross to diving sophomore Colin Hoffman, who headed the ball into the goal to tie the game.
The tie held through overtime, setting up a shootout to determine the winner. Herrera-Cave, Busa, freshman Steven Tyrrell and sophomore Gaelin Walsh scored on their shots. Goalkeeper Mike Schiever-O'Brien, a sophomore, limited Cornell to three successful shots, and ESF wrapped it up with a 4-3 win.
The Collegiate Club Soccer League currently includes six upstate New York teams sponsored by Cornell University, SUNY Cortland, SUNY-ESF, Ithaca College, SUNY Oswego, and Syracuse University. The SUNY-ESF men's soccer program is in the early stages of development and recruitment, with a goal of moving to a higher level of intercollegiate competition in 2009 or 2010. Their 2008 schedule also included matches with the Elmira College soccer club and with intercollegiate soccer teams from Paul Smith's College and Jefferson Community College.
More ESF News
- ESF Welcomes Camp Fire Professor of Wildlife Conservation
- ESF Students Join Efforts to Rebuild Puerto Rico
- ESF Lists Top 10 New Species for 2018
- Mortarboards Fly and Students Become Alumni
- ESF Announces Career Fellows for 2018
- ESF Students Named SUNY Scholar-Athletes
- 14 ESF Students Set for Volunteer Work in Puerto Rico
- ESF Announces Commencement Weekend Activities
- ESF Honors Conservation Scientist Eleanor J. Sterling
- Researchers Find Whole Genome Duplication Has Occurred Many Times during Evolution of Insects
- Chemistry Graduate Student Wins Award
- Nomura Group Recognized for Top Article
- Hello, Mr. President — About the Environment…
- ESF Team among Finalists for $2.5M Canals Competition
- Two ESF Students Honored with Chancellor's Award
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210