On the stump
Politicians have long visited ESF
Drawn by ESF's environmentally focused atmosphere elected officials and environmental advocates have long made the campus a background for their messages.
Former Governor Mario M. Cuomo paid a pre-election day visit to the ESF campus Oct. 23, 1984, to talk about acid precipitation. Accompanied by state Sen. Maurice Hinchey and state Attorney General Robert Abrams, Cuomo used the event to demonstrate concern over acid rain's impacts and to tout New York's precedent-setting legislation requiring the state's industries to curtail sulfur emissions. About 400 ESF and Syracuse University students attended the "Acid Rain Awareness Day" program, which was sponsored by Students for Mondale-Ferraro.
Six years later on the same date, Oct. 23, 1990, Robert F. Kennedy Jr. met with local reporters after delivering a speech on campus. Kennedy was appearing across the state on behalf of the Environmental Bond Act. Kennedy serves with Hudson Riverkeeper and Waterkeeper Alliance.
Other elected visitors to campus have included New York state governors George Pataki and David Paterson.
- Dr. Jack Manno, Cindy Squillace Honored with Racial Justice Award
- Mighty Oaks Hoops Play at the Dome
- ESF Celebrates Darwin and Wallace Feb. 15
- ESF Joins SUNY Puerto Rico Task Force
- Dr. Myron Mitchell Appointed to EPA Advisory Committee
- ESF, SU Celebrate Darwin’s Birthday with ‘Collecting Evolution’
- Smile! You’re On Canid Camera
- ESF, SU Announce Partnerships with Initial Focus on Water and Environment
- ESF Enhances Institutionalization of Inclusion, Equity, and Diversity
- What Species Is Most Fit for Life? All Have an Equal Chance, Scientists Say
- The Ocean Is Losing Its Breath
- Governor Unveils Plan to Protect N.Y. Lakes from Harmful Algal Blooms
- Acorns to Action Strives to Help Victims of Natural Disasters
- Synthetic Protein Could Be Key in Battle against Disease
- Hurricanes Hit, so Ph.D. Candidate Gets to Work in Puerto Rico
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210