Student Combines Science, Policy, Sustainability
CASSE complements joint MPS-MPA program
Carolyn Ramsden arrived in Syracuse to pursue a joint degree consisting of a Master of Professional Studies in Environmental Studies from SUNY-ESF and a Master of Public Administration from Syracuse University's Maxwell School. But she quickly added a third element - a Certificate in Advanced Study in Sustainable Enterprise (CASSE) - and she now describes the combination as "the best of all three worlds."
"I have an interest in public-private sector partnerships for sustainability," she said. "I thought that since I was here for the joint degree program, by adding CASSE, I was going to get the best of all three worlds: public policy, science and business."
Ramsden, who was employed at American and Harvard universities before pursuing her master's degree, was a member of the first class to complete the CASSE program. She has put her education to practical use through an internship with the city of Syracuse, working on the city's greenhouse gas inventory. The experience will be integral to the capstone project for her master's work.
"Employers in the sustainability field want people with business and accounting knowledge. And they also want environmental science and policy," Ramsden said. "The CASSE equips students with knowledge of the interdependent social, environmental and economic factors at work in sustainable enterprise."
Recent ESF News
- ESF Stages Exhibits at New York State Fair
- NYC Students Learn Hands-on Science
- Study in ‘Nature’ Details Global Land Change
- ESF, Ichor Therapeutics Team Up to Combat Age-related Illness
- Wagner Receives College Foundation Teaching Award
- Dr. Timothy Volk Named Exemplary Researcher at ESF
- ESF Professor Appointed to International Board on Lake Ontario
- Society of American Foresters Plays Key Role in Student’s ESF Experience
- ESF Staff, Faculty Honored by SUNY Chancellor
- SUNY Board of Trustees Appoints Interim President of ESF
- ESF Student Wins at COINS Grand Challenge
- ESF Students Return from Puerto Rico
- AEC’s McNulty Named President of OBFS
- Former ESF Cross Country Coach Inducted into USCAA Hall of Fame
- ESF Welcomes Camp Fire Professor of Wildlife Conservation
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210