SUNY-ESF Offers Basic Photovoltaic Installer Training
Course approved for 21 professional development hours
Registration is now being accepted for the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry's (ESF) Solar Power As Renewable Energy (SPARE) basic photovoltaic installer training course this spring.
The basic course is a four-day format that includes instruction on siting, design and installation of photovoltaic (PV) systems. The course includes sizing systems for both grid-connected and off-grid PV systems. The solar resource and the problems associated with shading, orientation and tilt will be reviewed. Also covered will be basic sizing and system design in relation to electrical load, safety practices for installers and the study of the electrical code for PV systems, various mounting systems for PV arrays and how they affect roofs. As part of the class, students will build a working PV system. The course will be taught by Dr. Gay Canough of ETM Solar Works and Dr. Neal Abrams of the ESF Department of Chemistry.
Dates for the basic SPARE course are May 21-25, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The course is board-recognized by the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners and is approved for 21 professional development hours for engineers. SPARE participants should have either a high school diploma or a GED.
- Millions of Native Orchids Flourish at Former Mining Waste Site
- Two ESF Students Earn SUNY Chancellor’s Award
- ESF Students Share Tips to a Greener Life
- ESF Celebrates Earth Week
- Ian Shapiro Named Green Building Advocate of the Year
- Closed-Loop Art: Woodburner Uses Material at Hand
- ESF Hosts Photo Exhibit of Migratory Birds along Onondaga Lake
- Study Examines Conditions for Growing Young Chestnuts
- Cultural Education
- AIC’s Artists-in-Residence to Be Featured in ESF Show
- Scientists Honored for Study on Improving Odds for Bats' Survival
- ESF Earns ‘Tree Campus’ Distinction
- Earth Day Event Focuses on Environmental Justice
- Spirit and Essence Banquet Highlights Diversity Week
- Oakie Acorn Falters in Mascot Madness
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210