Wednesday, August 20, 2014
Subscribe (News reader required)
- At the Fair: Great Shipwrecks of New York’s ‘Great’ Lakes
- SUNY-ESF Stages Exhibits at New York State Fair
- Expanded Centennial Hall Ready for New Residents
- ESF Expects Record Class for Fall
- Giant Amazon Fish Becoming Extinct in Many Communities
Men's Soccer Team Ties at Canton; Women Beat 6th-ranked Kangaroos
Sophomore Johnsen scores lone goal for Mighty Oaks women
The Mighty Oaks met the SUNY Canton Kangaroos in men's and women's soccer Sept. 25, with the men's finishing with a 1-1 tie in an exciting double-overtime game and the women triumphing 1-0 over the sixth-ranked team in the USCAA.
Sophomore Dillon Buchberg scored the only goal for the men's squad in the 30th minute. It was a beautiful 30-yard kick that curled over the defending wall of players and slotted into the top corner of the goal. Freshman Rob Hamm and senior Steven Tyrrell helped on the defensive side while sophomore goalkeeper Mike Walczyk did his part with 16 saves.
The only goal for the women came from sophomore Alysa Johnsen in the 23rd minute, with an assist from fourth-year student Brooke Harris. Junior goalkeeper Olivia Gagliardi had 10 saves in the shutout.
- By Audrey Hart SU '15Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210