Eastman Competition Honors ESF Graduate Research
Chemical company offers awards to students
The SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) will host the Eastman Chemical Company's annual competition to identify outstanding research by ESF graduate students working with natural polymers.
This year, the competition requires two types of presentations: a non-technical article and a technical poster. The 800-word non-technical article will address the question, "Why does my research matter?" The students will present their technical posters to the judges Dec. 6 during a poster session on the first-floor entry foyer of Baker Laboratory. Students will be available to discuss their posters from 10:30 a.m. to noon or later if necessary. The poster session is open to the public.
Winners will be announced following a participants' lunch. Prizes will be $1,500, $1,000, and $500 for the top three poster/article presentations.
The annual competition, which began in 2006, is part of Eastman's recognition of ESF as a "Focus School" in wood and cellulose chemistry. Eastman has been involved with ESF for many years and was one of the founding sponsors of the Cellulose Research Institute at the college in 1957. Since then the company, one of the nation's 10 largest chemical producers, has continued to hire ESF science and engineering students and support others through summer internships and related programs.
More ESF News
- ESF Welcomes Camp Fire Professor of Wildlife Conservation
- ESF Students Join Efforts to Rebuild Puerto Rico
- ESF Lists Top 10 New Species for 2018
- Mortarboards Fly and Students Become Alumni
- ESF Announces Career Fellows for 2018
- ESF Students Named SUNY Scholar-Athletes
- 14 ESF Students Set for Volunteer Work in Puerto Rico
- ESF Announces Commencement Weekend Activities
- ESF Honors Conservation Scientist Eleanor J. Sterling
- Researchers Find Whole Genome Duplication Has Occurred Many Times during Evolution of Insects
- Chemistry Graduate Student Wins Award
- Nomura Group Recognized for Top Article
- Hello, Mr. President — About the Environment…
- ESF Team among Finalists for $2.5M Canals Competition
- Two ESF Students Honored with Chancellor's Award
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210