Eastman Competition Honors ESF Graduate Research
Chemical company offers awards to students
The SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) will host the Eastman Chemical Company's annual competition to identify outstanding research by ESF graduate students working with natural polymers.
This year, the competition requires two types of presentations: a non-technical article and a technical poster. The 800-word non-technical article will address the question, "Why does my research matter?" The students will present their technical posters to the judges Dec. 6 during a poster session on the first-floor entry foyer of Baker Laboratory. Students will be available to discuss their posters from 10:30 a.m. to noon or later if necessary. The poster session is open to the public.
Winners will be announced following a participants' lunch. Prizes will be $1,500, $1,000, and $500 for the top three poster/article presentations.
The annual competition, which began in 2006, is part of Eastman's recognition of ESF as a "Focus School" in wood and cellulose chemistry. Eastman has been involved with ESF for many years and was one of the founding sponsors of the Cellulose Research Institute at the college in 1957. Since then the company, one of the nation's 10 largest chemical producers, has continued to hire ESF science and engineering students and support others through summer internships and related programs.
- The Cheer Fun of It
- Ph.D. Student Appointed to Federal Advisory Panel
- Study Cross-Links Pollution Extremes to Race, Socio-Economic Status
- ESF Participates in SUNY Training for University Police
- New Honor for the Chancellor: A Namesake Beetle
- Basketball Team Wins Back-to-back Games
- 2,000 Water Samples = One Busy Chemistry Lab
- Endreny Receives Fulbright Award as Distinguished Chair in Italy
- $190,000 SUNY Award Supports ESF Online Education
- ESF Confers Degrees upon December Graduates
- NSF Funds $1.12M for Transmission Electron Microscope at ESF
- ESF Celebrates December Commencement
- ESF Students Launch Online Literary Journal
- ESF to Divest from Fossil Fuel Investments
- Dr. Neil Murphy Receives USGBC Leadership Award
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210