ESF Named to Community Service Honor Roll
Students contribute over 75,000 hours of community service
The SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) was named to the 2013 President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll, which recognizes colleges and universities who achieve meaningful, measurable outcomes in the communities they serve throughout the nation and show a clear commitment to community service and service learning.
Students at ESF contributed more than 75,000 hours of service through the college's Service Learning Initiative and community service projects in 2011-2012. Students have worked on projects on local, national and international levels. Projects included volunteering at the Carpenter's Brook Fish Hatchery, helping rebuild neighborhoods damaged by Hurricane Katrina, and building a water system to bring potable water to a village in Honduras.
This is the seventh time ESF has been on the Community Service Honor Roll
ESF was among 13 SUNY schools to make this year's list.
Said SUNY Chancellor Nancy Zimpher, "SUNY students, faculty, and staff have a rich history of giving back not only to the communities that surround our campuses in every region of New York but to populations in need world-wide. We are deeply proud to see so many of our campuses recognized again this year on the President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll."
The 13 SUNY campuses are among 690 higher education institutions that were named to this year's Honor Roll. Combined, the Honor Roll awardees engaged 3.1 million students in community service for a total of 118 million service hours, a 2.5 billion dollar value to communities across the country.
The President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll, launched in 2006, annually highlights the role colleges and universities play in solving community problems and placing more students on a lifelong path of civic engagement by recognizing institutions that achieve meaningful, measureable outcomes in the communities they serve.
- ESF Celebrates Darwin Day Feb. 17
- ESF Students Offer Love Letter to the Earth
- The Cheer Fun of It
- Ph.D. Student Appointed to Federal Advisory Panel
- Study Cross-Links Pollution Extremes to Race, Socio-Economic Status
- ESF Participates in SUNY Training for University Police
- New Honor for the Chancellor: A Namesake Beetle
- Basketball Team Wins Back-to-back Games
- 2,000 Water Samples = One Busy Chemistry Lab
- Endreny Receives Fulbright Award as Distinguished Chair in Italy
- $190,000 SUNY Award Supports ESF Online Education
- ESF Confers Degrees upon December Graduates
- NSF Funds $1.12M for Transmission Electron Microscope at ESF
- ESF Celebrates December Commencement
- ESF Students Launch Online Literary Journal
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210