ESF Named to Community Service Honor Roll
Students contribute over 75,000 hours of community service
The SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) was named to the 2013 President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll, which recognizes colleges and universities who achieve meaningful, measurable outcomes in the communities they serve throughout the nation and show a clear commitment to community service and service learning.
Students at ESF contributed more than 75,000 hours of service through the college's Service Learning Initiative and community service projects in 2011-2012. Students have worked on projects on local, national and international levels. Projects included volunteering at the Carpenter's Brook Fish Hatchery, helping rebuild neighborhoods damaged by Hurricane Katrina, and building a water system to bring potable water to a village in Honduras.
This is the seventh time ESF has been on the Community Service Honor Roll
ESF was among 13 SUNY schools to make this year's list.
Said SUNY Chancellor Nancy Zimpher, "SUNY students, faculty, and staff have a rich history of giving back not only to the communities that surround our campuses in every region of New York but to populations in need world-wide. We are deeply proud to see so many of our campuses recognized again this year on the President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll."
The 13 SUNY campuses are among 690 higher education institutions that were named to this year's Honor Roll. Combined, the Honor Roll awardees engaged 3.1 million students in community service for a total of 118 million service hours, a 2.5 billion dollar value to communities across the country.
The President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll, launched in 2006, annually highlights the role colleges and universities play in solving community problems and placing more students on a lifelong path of civic engagement by recognizing institutions that achieve meaningful, measureable outcomes in the communities they serve.
- Dr. Jack Manno, Cindy Squillace Honored with Racial Justice Award
- Mighty Oaks Hoops Play at the Dome
- ESF Celebrates Darwin and Wallace Feb. 15
- ESF Joins SUNY Puerto Rico Task Force
- Dr. Myron Mitchell Appointed to EPA Advisory Committee
- ESF, SU Celebrate Darwin’s Birthday with ‘Collecting Evolution’
- Smile! You’re On Canid Camera
- ESF, SU Announce Partnerships with Initial Focus on Water and Environment
- ESF Enhances Institutionalization of Inclusion, Equity, and Diversity
- What Species Is Most Fit for Life? All Have an Equal Chance, Scientists Say
- The Ocean Is Losing Its Breath
- Governor Unveils Plan to Protect N.Y. Lakes from Harmful Algal Blooms
- Acorns to Action Strives to Help Victims of Natural Disasters
- Synthetic Protein Could Be Key in Battle against Disease
- Hurricanes Hit, so Ph.D. Candidate Gets to Work in Puerto Rico
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210