Winners of Eastman Chemical Graduate Student Award Announced
Award recognizes work in sustainable materials chemical sciences
The winners of the 8th annual Eastman Chemical Graduate Student Award program have been announced. Prizes were awarded to the top three presentations in the area of sustainable materials chemical sciences.
This year's winners are:
Alex Levine, first prize, $1,500 - Levine works in Dr. Christopher Nomura's group in ESF's chemistry department. His research focuses on production of and applications for modified bacterial polyesters.
Scott Bergey, second prize, $1,000 - Bergey works in Dr. Arthur Stipanovic's group, also in the chemistry department. His research focuses on the use of near-infrared spectroscopy as a means for high-throughput analysis of biomass composition.
Chris Woods, third prize, $500 - Woods works in Dr. Thomas Amidon's group in the paper and bioprocess engineering department. His research focuses on the breakdown of hemicelluloses into platform chemicals such as furfural and acetic acid.
The award program was hosted by the Cellulose Research Institute at ESF.
The panel of judges included two scientists from Eastman Chemical's main research center in Kingsport, Tenn. Dr. Jacob Goodrich received a Ph.D. in chemistry from ESF in 2007. He also won a summer internship from Eastman in 2006. At Eastman, Goodrich originally worked in process chemistry but recently has taken on a new role and is leading a large group of scientists working on polymer coatings. The other judge from Eastman was Dr. Lisa Gibson, an advanced process development chemist, who joined the company in 2011 after obtaining her Ph.D. at the University of Cambridge in the United Kingdom.
- ESF President Joins U.S. Leaders : 'We Are Still In’ on Paris Agreement
- Mighty Oaks Welcome a New Coach
- SUNY Ranks among Top 100 Worldwide for Patents Granted in 2016
- Philosopher’s Camp Returns to Newcomb Campus
- Students Recognize Contributions of Faculty, Staff
- Martin Hogue Receives Teaching Award
- Dr. John Farrell Named Exemplary Researcher at ESF
- ESF Staff, Faculty Honored by Chancellor
- Syracuse City Schools to take ESF’s Environmental Challenge
- Jorge Guarin Named SUNY Scholar-Athlete
- ESF Lists Top 10 New Species for 2017
- Dr. Nosa Egiebor Joins ESF as Provost, Executive VP
- Class of '17 Joins ESF Alumni Ranks
- Cultural and Natural Sustainability Come Together in New AIC Program
- Chemistry Student Wins Award
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210