Mascotís Run To Victory Cut Short
Oakie Acorn falls in round 2 of Mascot Madness
Oakie Acorn's run for Mascot Madness dominance came to an end as he fell to SUNY New Paltz's Hugo the Hawk in Round 2.
Oakie, the mascot for ESF's Mighty Oaks sports teams, was a 39th seed going into the competition. In Round 1, he defeated both SUNY Delhi and Erie Community College. He received 46 percent of the vote against Hugo, last year's champion.
Mascot Madness is an online contest that pits SUNY mascots against each other in a standard single-elimination bracket of four divisions with five rounds. The competition is based on a series of questions posed to the mascots prior to the tournament including mascots' origin stories; thoughts on representing their teams; favorite events, New York travel destination and Broadway show; and what they like to do for fun.
Oakie not only received support from the ESF community of students, faculty, staff and alumni, but also from a number of community organizations and Syracuse University.
You can follow Oakie on Twitter at @ESFOakie or on Facebook at Oakie Acorn for updates on his training and preparation for next year's Mascot Madness. Voting for the remaining mascots continues through April 3 at blog.suny.edu
- Feinstone Environmental Awards Honor Women in Science
- Loon Race Celebrates Summer at Newcomb Campus
- ESF Monitors Waters of Sodus Bay
- Newcomb Campus Hosts Sculptor as Artist-in-residence
- Secret Lives of Amazonian Fishes Revealed by Chemicals Stored in Their Ear-stones
- ESF Landscape Architecture Students Receive ASLA Honors
- Student's Project Dishes Up Food to Those in Need
- Dr. Stewart Diemont Receives Teaching Award
- Dr. Stephen Stehman Named ESF Exemplary Researcher
- ESF Student Finalist for Olmsted Scholar Award
- 2016 Adirondack BioBlitz Kicks Off in the St. Lawrence Valley
- ESF Graduate Joins Teach for America
- ESF Lists Top 10 New Species for 2016
- Advice for Graduates: Stay United, 'Enjoy Your Wisdom'
- NYSERDA Launches Climate Change Science Clearinghouse
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210