Mascotís Run To Victory Cut Short
Oakie Acorn falls in round 2 of Mascot Madness
Oakie Acorn's run for Mascot Madness dominance came to an end as he fell to SUNY New Paltz's Hugo the Hawk in Round 2.
Oakie, the mascot for ESF's Mighty Oaks sports teams, was a 39th seed going into the competition. In Round 1, he defeated both SUNY Delhi and Erie Community College. He received 46 percent of the vote against Hugo, last year's champion.
Mascot Madness is an online contest that pits SUNY mascots against each other in a standard single-elimination bracket of four divisions with five rounds. The competition is based on a series of questions posed to the mascots prior to the tournament including mascots' origin stories; thoughts on representing their teams; favorite events, New York travel destination and Broadway show; and what they like to do for fun.
Oakie not only received support from the ESF community of students, faculty, staff and alumni, but also from a number of community organizations and Syracuse University.
You can follow Oakie on Twitter at @ESFOakie or on Facebook at Oakie Acorn for updates on his training and preparation for next year's Mascot Madness. Voting for the remaining mascots continues through April 3 at blog.suny.edu
- Students Recognize Contributions of Faculty, Staff
- Martin Hogue Receives Teaching Award
- Dr. John Farrell Named Exemplary Researcher at ESF
- ESF Staff, Faculty Honored by Chancellor
- Syracuse City Schools to take ESFís Environmental Challenge
- Jorge Guarin Named SUNY Scholar-Athlete
- ESF Lists Top 10 New Species for 2017
- Dr. Nosa Egiebor Joins ESF as Provost, Executive VP
- Class of '17 Joins ESF Alumni Ranks
- Cultural and Natural Sustainability Come Together in New AIC Program
- Chemistry Student Wins Award
- ESF Announces Commencement Weekend Activities
- Oakie Acorn Receives Mascot Madness Trophy
- ESF Students Celebrate Arbor Day
- ESF Earns ĎTree Campusí Distinction
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210