ESF's New Mascot, Oakie, Meets the Public
First official mascot was chosen by students
SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry President Cornelius B. Murphy, Jr., introduced the College's new mascot, Oakie the acorn, Friday to 250 members of the College community who gathered in Bray Hall for the debut.
Oakie, who was chosen as the mascot by the ESF student body, will represent ESF's growing athletic program. The College's soccer, golf, cross-country and timber sports teams are known as the Mighty Oaks, a name linked to both ESF's deep roots in the field of forestry and one of the most identifiable landmarks on the ESF campus: the Robin Hood Oak. The stately oak was the first tree to be listed on the National Register of Historic Trees in the United States. The tree grew from an acorn obtained by an ESF professor who brought it back from England's Sherwood Forest around 1926. According to legend, the Major Oak sheltered Robin Hood and his men from their enemies.
ESF's athletic teams have, to this point, competed as club teams. But the College joined the National Intercollegiate Athletic Association this past fall and the soccer, golf and cross-country teams will begin an intercollegiate competition schedule in the fall.
- ESF Lists Top 10 New Species for 2016
- Advice for Graduates: Stay United, 'Enjoy Your Wisdom'
- NYSERDA Launches Climate Change Science Clearinghouse
- Heather Carl Named SUNY Scholar-Athlete
- ESF Announces Commencement Weekend Activities
- ĎAmazing Experienceí with Animals Leads to Career Goal
- On the Menu: Woodcock and Ďa Ton of Venisoní
- CNY Girls Summit Career Conference Comes to ESF
- ESF Student Participates in SEA Semester Program
- Millions of Native Orchids Flourish at Former Mining Waste Site
- Two ESF Students Earn SUNY Chancellorís Award
- ESF Students Share Tips to a Greener Life
- ESF Celebrates Earth Week
- Ian Shapiro Named Green Building Advocate of the Year
- Closed-Loop Art: Woodburner Uses Material at Hand
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210