N.Y. Gov. Paterson at ESF to Announce Solar Energy Initiative
Governor calls College 'catalyst' for green economy
N.Y. Gov. David Paterson visited SUNY-ESF today (Jan. 27, 2010) to announce a major energy initiative that would lead to the installation of up to 100 megawatts of solar photovoltaic systems at public buildings throughout the state.
Paterson said the photovoltaic arrays would be installed in schools and government buildings by 2014, increasing by five times the amount of solar energy currently produced in the state.
"ESF is the catalyst of the green economy here in Central New York," the governor said. "Today we are actually going to make history as we embark on an unprecedented clean-energy initiative."
Paterson said a request for proposals was issued today. Richard Kessel, president and chief executive officer of the New York Power Authority, said responses are due back on Earth Day, April 22, and that work should begin by the end of the year. Kessel said the project would not only help protect the environment but also create jobs and position New York as a leader in the development of sustainable and renewable energy sources.
Dozens of elected officials and business and civic leaders gathered in ESF's Bray Hall rotunda for the announcement.
More ESF News
- ESF Lists Top 10 New Species for 2018
- Mortarboards Fly and Students Become Alumni
- ESF Announces Career Fellows for 2018
- ESF Students Named SUNY Scholar-Athletes
- 14 ESF Students Set for Volunteer Work in Puerto Rico
- ESF Announces Commencement Weekend Activities
- ESF Honors Conservation Scientist Eleanor J. Sterling
- Researchers Find Whole Genome Duplication Has Occurred Many Times during Evolution of Insects
- Chemistry Graduate Student Wins Award
- Nomura Group Recognized for Top Article
- Hello, Mr. President — About the Environment…
- ESF Team among Finalists for $2.5M Canals Competition
- Two ESF Students Honored with Chancellor's Award
- 3 ESF Students among Winners at SU RvD iPrize Competition
- 4 ESF Students Honored as Storyfest 2018 Finalists
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210