Mighty Oaks Teams Prepare for 2010 Season
Teams, coaches gear up for fall competition
As the 2010-11 academic year gets under way, ESF student athletes are preparing for their first season of official intercollegiate competition in soccer, cross country and golf.
The Mighty Oaks will compete this year as part of the National Association for Intercollegiate Athletics. Previously, the teams competed on the club level.
Head soccer Coach Dan Ramin said he is looking forward to the opportunity to compete and succeed at a higher level. The men's and women's soccer teams are scheduled to play some strong Central New York collegiate teams, including Roberts Wesleyan and Daemen College. Both men's and women's teams have the opportunity to qualify for the U.S. Collegiate Athletic Association national championship at Vermont Tech Nov. 4 through 6.
"We have a strong, smart team and a great shot at qualifying and winning this championship!" said junior Mike Schriver, goalkeeper for the men's soccer team.
The men's and women's cross-country teams are preparing for some fast runs. They, too, have the opportunity to win honors at the USCAA National Championship in Concord , N.H., Nov. 5. Coaches John View and Jim Goulet are pleased with the recruiting class and look forward to the first meet, the Syracuse Invitational Sept. 11. "The season looks very promising!" View said.
As the ESF golf team begins its 2010-11 season, Head Coach John Turbeville welcomes Dana Piwinski as the new assistant coach. Piwinski also works full-time as a staff member in the ESF Development Office.
The golf team has a full fall schedule that includes participation in the Roberts Wesleyan Invitational, a new tournament for the team. It will be the team's first match as a member of the NAIA. The team will use its fall calendar to prepare for participation in its first national championship tournament, held at Penn State University in October.
For more information on the teams, including complete schedules, please visit our website at www.esf.edu/athletics.
- ‘Jet’ Lewis Builds Busy Life as ESF Sophomore
- Tigers Could Roam Again in Central Asia, Scientists Say
- ESF Chemistry Professor Appointed VP for Research
- ESF Alumnus Wins Award for Sustainable Dog Treats
- Dedication to Environment Brings Student to ESF from Mexico
- ESF December Graduates Join Alumni Ranks
- AASHE Recognizes ESF for Sustainability Innovations
- ESF Celebrates December Commencement
- Teamwork Gets Soccer Players Volunteering for Food Recovery
- 9 Reasons Why ESF Students Love Centennial Hall
- 18 ESF Student-athletes Earn Fall Honors
- Mighty Oaks Women Fall in National Soccer Tournament Final
- Malmsheimer Receives Sir William Schlich Memorial Award
- ESF Hosts Symposium on Divestment and ‘Just Transition’
- XC Men Repeat as Conference Champs; Women 2nd
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210