Mighty Oaks Teams Prepare for 2010 Season
Teams, coaches gear up for fall competition
As the 2010-11 academic year gets under way, ESF student athletes are preparing for their first season of official intercollegiate competition in soccer, cross country and golf.
The Mighty Oaks will compete this year as part of the National Association for Intercollegiate Athletics. Previously, the teams competed on the club level.
Head soccer Coach Dan Ramin said he is looking forward to the opportunity to compete and succeed at a higher level. The men's and women's soccer teams are scheduled to play some strong Central New York collegiate teams, including Roberts Wesleyan and Daemen College. Both men's and women's teams have the opportunity to qualify for the U.S. Collegiate Athletic Association national championship at Vermont Tech Nov. 4 through 6.
"We have a strong, smart team and a great shot at qualifying and winning this championship!" said junior Mike Schriver, goalkeeper for the men's soccer team.
The men's and women's cross-country teams are preparing for some fast runs. They, too, have the opportunity to win honors at the USCAA National Championship in Concord , N.H., Nov. 5. Coaches John View and Jim Goulet are pleased with the recruiting class and look forward to the first meet, the Syracuse Invitational Sept. 11. "The season looks very promising!" View said.
As the ESF golf team begins its 2010-11 season, Head Coach John Turbeville welcomes Dana Piwinski as the new assistant coach. Piwinski also works full-time as a staff member in the ESF Development Office.
The golf team has a full fall schedule that includes participation in the Roberts Wesleyan Invitational, a new tournament for the team. It will be the team's first match as a member of the NAIA. The team will use its fall calendar to prepare for participation in its first national championship tournament, held at Penn State University in October.
For more information on the teams, including complete schedules, please visit our website at www.esf.edu/athletics.
More ESF News
- Mortarboards Fly and Students Become Alumni
- ESF Announces Career Fellows for 2018
- ESF Students Named SUNY Scholar-Athletes
- 14 ESF Students Set for Volunteer Work in Puerto Rico
- ESF Announces Commencement Weekend Activities
- ESF Honors Conservation Scientist Eleanor J. Sterling
- Researchers Find Whole Genome Duplication Has Occurred Many Times during Evolution of Insects
- Chemistry Graduate Student Wins Award
- Nomura Group Recognized for Top Article
- Hello, Mr. President — About the Environment…
- ESF Team among Finalists for $2.5M Canals Competition
- Two ESF Students Honored with Chancellor's Award
- 3 ESF Students among Winners at SU RvD iPrize Competition
- 4 ESF Students Honored as Storyfest 2018 Finalists
- Student-Athletes Honored at Annual Banquet
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210