Friday, April 17, 2015
Subscribe (News reader required)
- New in Town: START-UP NY Links New Company with ESF
- Augmented Reality Games Used To Teach
- ESF Students Take Top Honors
- ESF Marks 15th Anniversary of Campus Day of Service
- Quidditch Tournament Benefits Local Charities
ESF Student Researches Eastern Massasauga Rattlesnakes
CBS 5 WTVH Video
Free QuickTime plug-in required
Copyright © | All Rights Reserved
Kevin Shoemaker says the Cicero Swamp in Central New York is home to 100 to 200 Eastern Massasauga rattlesnakes and that number could be increased with some management of shrub growth to create more open space.
The rattler is an endangered species in New York.
Shoemaker said some combination of cutting, herbicide use, and burning could be used to open habitat for the female snakes to incubate their young.
WTVH broadcast stories about Shoemaker's research during their evening news January 11, 2008.
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210