Jorge Guarin Named SUNY Scholar-Athlete
2017 graduate excelled in the classroom and on the field
Jorge Guarin, a 2017 ESF graduate from Acapulco, Mexico, is the recipient of the prestigious 2017 SUNY Chancellor's Scholar-Athlete Award.
Guarin, who majored in sustainable energy management, was a two-year member of the Mighty Oaks men's soccer team after transferring to ESF from Concordia College, Alabama, in 2015. His future plans include travel and graduate school.
Guarin was named a U.S. Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA) Academic All-American (student-athletes with an overall GPA of 3.5 or higher) and a USCAA All-American in both 2015 and 2016.
On the soccer field, he led the squad to a Hudson Valley Intercollegiate Athletic Conference championship while being named the tournament MVP in 2016. Guarin also helped lead the team back to the the USCAA national tournament in November.
Student-athletes are nominated for the chancellor's honor by their campus athletic director. Their credentials and accomplishments are reviewed by a panel of athletic directors from across SUNY as well as the provost's office.
Recent ESF News
- 2018 Fall Sports Preview
- ESF Stages Exhibits at New York State Fair
- NYC Students Learn Hands-on Science
- Study in ‘Nature’ Details Global Land Change
- ESF, Ichor Therapeutics Team Up to Combat Age-related Illness
- Wagner Receives College Foundation Teaching Award
- Dr. Timothy Volk Named Exemplary Researcher at ESF
- ESF Professor Appointed to International Board on Lake Ontario
- Society of American Foresters Plays Key Role in Student’s ESF Experience
- ESF Staff, Faculty Honored by SUNY Chancellor
- SUNY Board of Trustees Appoints Interim President of ESF
- ESF Student Wins at COINS Grand Challenge
- ESF Students Return from Puerto Rico
- AEC’s McNulty Named President of OBFS
- Former ESF Cross Country Coach Inducted into USCAA Hall of Fame
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210