Jorge Guarin Named SUNY Scholar-Athlete
2017 graduate excelled in the classroom and on the field
Jorge Guarin, a 2017 ESF graduate from Acapulco, Mexico, is the recipient of the prestigious 2017 SUNY Chancellor's Scholar-Athlete Award.
Guarin, who majored in sustainable energy management, was a two-year member of the Mighty Oaks men's soccer team after transferring to ESF from Concordia College, Alabama, in 2015. His future plans include travel and graduate school.
Guarin was named a U.S. Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA) Academic All-American (student-athletes with an overall GPA of 3.5 or higher) and a USCAA All-American in both 2015 and 2016.
On the soccer field, he led the squad to a Hudson Valley Intercollegiate Athletic Conference championship while being named the tournament MVP in 2016. Guarin also helped lead the team back to the the USCAA national tournament in November.
Student-athletes are nominated for the chancellor's honor by their campus athletic director. Their credentials and accomplishments are reviewed by a panel of athletic directors from across SUNY as well as the provost's office.
More ESF News
- ESF Lists Top 10 New Species for 2018
- Mortarboards Fly and Students Become Alumni
- ESF Announces Career Fellows for 2018
- ESF Students Named SUNY Scholar-Athletes
- 14 ESF Students Set for Volunteer Work in Puerto Rico
- ESF Announces Commencement Weekend Activities
- ESF Honors Conservation Scientist Eleanor J. Sterling
- Researchers Find Whole Genome Duplication Has Occurred Many Times during Evolution of Insects
- Chemistry Graduate Student Wins Award
- Nomura Group Recognized for Top Article
- Hello, Mr. President — About the Environment…
- ESF Team among Finalists for $2.5M Canals Competition
- Two ESF Students Honored with Chancellor's Award
- 3 ESF Students among Winners at SU RvD iPrize Competition
- 4 ESF Students Honored as Storyfest 2018 Finalists
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210