Jorge Guarin Named SUNY Scholar-Athlete
2017 graduate excelled in the classroom and on the field
Jorge Guarin, a 2017 ESF graduate from Acapulco, Mexico, is the recipient of the prestigious 2017 SUNY Chancellor's Scholar-Athlete Award.
Guarin, who majored in sustainable energy management, was a two-year member of the Mighty Oaks men's soccer team after transferring to ESF from Concordia College, Alabama, in 2015. His future plans include travel and graduate school.
Guarin was named a U.S. Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA) Academic All-American (student-athletes with an overall GPA of 3.5 or higher) and a USCAA All-American in both 2015 and 2016.
On the soccer field, he led the squad to a Hudson Valley Intercollegiate Athletic Conference championship while being named the tournament MVP in 2016. Guarin also helped lead the team back to the the USCAA national tournament in November.
Student-athletes are nominated for the chancellor's honor by their campus athletic director. Their credentials and accomplishments are reviewed by a panel of athletic directors from across SUNY as well as the provost's office.
- ESF Researcher, Ph.D. Candidate Attend First Bioeconomy Conference
- ESF Professor Receives National Forestry Award
- Nature and Health Come Together at Syracuse VA Medical Center
- Mighty Oaks Athletes Earn Honors
- USCAA National Championships Recap
- Mighty Oaks Compete in Conference Tournaments
- Community Stewards to Receive ESF’s Feinstone Award
- ESF Hosts Inaugural SUNY Leaders Sustainability Summit
- AIC’s Artist-in-Residence to Be Featured in ESF Show
- Princeton Review Again Ranks ESF No. 2 among Nation’s ‘Green Colleges’
- SUNY, W.K. Kellogg Foundation Announce Grant for Sustainable Village and Learning Community in Haiti
- ‘Moonlighting’ Focuses on E.O. Wilson’s Half-Earth Project
- ESF Golfers Take to Links in Players Championship
- Newcomb Campus Hosts Artist in Residence
- Soccer Teams Win Big on Senior Day
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210