1911: ESF Gets Its Start
Moving into Bray Hall was collegewide effort
The New York State College of Forestry was founded in 1911 in partnership with Syracuse University. The first classes were held in the basement of SU's Lyman Hall. In 1913, the state purchased 12 acres of land adjacent to SU from the university. Four years later, Bray Hall was completed and the College had a permanent home.
Moving, however, presented a challenge. A book published in commemoration of the College's 50th anniversary, "Forestry College: Essays on the Growth and Development of New York State's College of Forestry," edited by George R. Armstrong, describes how the problem was solved: "But there were no state funds available to hire vehicles and workers to move the books, furniture, desks, surveying and laboratory equipment and other college possessions from temporary quarters at Syracuse University to the new building. Faculty members and approximately 200 students volunteered their services and completed the move in just two days."
Bray Hall remained the only building on the ESF campus until Marshall Hall's completion in 1933.
- ESF Students Place Second in SU ‘Impact Prize’ Competition
- ESF Researcher, Ph.D. Candidate Attend First Bioeconomy Conference
- ESF Professor Receives National Forestry Award
- Nature and Health Come Together at Syracuse VA Medical Center
- Mighty Oaks Athletes Earn Honors
- USCAA National Championships Recap
- Mighty Oaks Compete in Conference Tournaments
- Community Stewards to Receive ESF’s Feinstone Award
- ESF Hosts Inaugural SUNY Leaders Sustainability Summit
- AIC’s Artist-in-Residence to Be Featured in ESF Show
- Princeton Review Again Ranks ESF No. 2 among Nation’s ‘Green Colleges’
- SUNY, W.K. Kellogg Foundation Announce Grant for Sustainable Village and Learning Community in Haiti
- ‘Moonlighting’ Focuses on E.O. Wilson’s Half-Earth Project
- ESF Golfers Take to Links in Players Championship
- Newcomb Campus Hosts Artist in Residence
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210