ESF Basketball Players Trade Texts for Children's Books
Club participates in elementary school reading program
The ESF men's basketball club team visited East Syracuse Elementary School March 30 to be guest readers for the school's Parents as Reading Partners Program (PARP). The players met with Principal Pat Charboneau before reading various books to the K-5 classes in the building.
The players shared their collegiate experiences in academics and athletics along with the importance of teamwork in both sports and life.
"This was just a great opportunity for our players to get out into the community and share their experiences," said head Coach Scott Blair. "With some of our players looking toward education as a possible future career path after ESF, this was a great way for them to connect with our area youths."
As sophomore guard Josh Puzan noted, "It was fun because the kids made it fun - they really enjoyed having us there."
The event was part of the PARP program's "Exercise Your Mind, Read" series, a week of reading focusing on teamwork and featuring various local sports teams as guest readers during the two-week event.
- ESF Lists Top 10 New Species for 2016
- Advice for Graduates: Stay United, 'Enjoy Your Wisdom'
- NYSERDA Launches Climate Change Science Clearinghouse
- Heather Carl Named SUNY Scholar-Athlete
- ESF Announces Commencement Weekend Activities
- ĎAmazing Experienceí with Animals Leads to Career Goal
- On the Menu: Woodcock and Ďa Ton of Venisoní
- CNY Girls Summit Career Conference Comes to ESF
- ESF Student Participates in SEA Semester Program
- Millions of Native Orchids Flourish at Former Mining Waste Site
- Two ESF Students Earn SUNY Chancellorís Award
- ESF Students Share Tips to a Greener Life
- ESF Celebrates Earth Week
- Ian Shapiro Named Green Building Advocate of the Year
- Closed-Loop Art: Woodburner Uses Material at Hand
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210