ESF Basketball Players Trade Texts for Children's Books
Club participates in elementary school reading program
The ESF men's basketball club team visited East Syracuse Elementary School March 30 to be guest readers for the school's Parents as Reading Partners Program (PARP). The players met with Principal Pat Charboneau before reading various books to the K-5 classes in the building.
The players shared their collegiate experiences in academics and athletics along with the importance of teamwork in both sports and life.
"This was just a great opportunity for our players to get out into the community and share their experiences," said head Coach Scott Blair. "With some of our players looking toward education as a possible future career path after ESF, this was a great way for them to connect with our area youths."
As sophomore guard Josh Puzan noted, "It was fun because the kids made it fun - they really enjoyed having us there."
The event was part of the PARP program's "Exercise Your Mind, Read" series, a week of reading focusing on teamwork and featuring various local sports teams as guest readers during the two-week event.
- Oakie Continues to Dance in Mascot Madness
- ESF Professor’s Book Wins Harold and Margaret Sprout Award
- Oakie Advances to Round 2 in SUNY’s Mascot Madness
- ESF-LeMoyne Class Focuses on Environmental Ethics
- ESF Joins Partners to Create Climate-Resilient Forest on Tug Hill
- ESF’s Oakie the Acorn Enters SUNY’s Mascot Madness
- Travis Lecture Focuses on Role of Coyote in Northeastern Forests
- ESF Nordic Skier Competes in World University Games
- Academics, Athletics, Affordability Lure Soccer Captain to ESF
- Daily Adventures Mark Trip to South America
- Student from Italy Finds Motivation at ESF
- Diverse Backgrounds Help 2 Grads Connect with Prospective Students
- Ryan Caldwell Earns First Team All-American Honors
- Mighty American Chestnut Poised for Return to America’s Forests
- Walk on the Wild Side
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210