Two ESF Students Receive SUNY Chancellor’s Awards
Two SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry students were honored in Albany Tuesday as they were presented with the 2011 Chancellor's Award for Student Excellence.
Shannon Carpenter of Liverpool, a senior in the Department of Chemistry, and Jennifer Ma of Brooklyn, a senior in the Department of Environmental and Forest Biology, were honored with some 240 other SUNY students at the Empire State Plaza Convention Center.
"The students we honor today have excelled academically and taken advantage of what SUNY has to offer in and outside the classroom," said SUNY Chancellor Nancy L. Zimpher. "These students are proven leaders, athletes, artists, community servants, and much more. They represent the future of our state and are perfect examples of The Power of SUNY. I congratulate all of the students receiving recognition today and thank them for the positive impact each of them has had on SUNY and the communities we serve."
The Chancellor's Award for Student Excellencewas created 14 years ago to recognize students who have best demonstrated, and have been recognized for, the integration of academic excellence with accomplishments in the areas of leadership, athletics, community service, creative and performing arts, or career achievement. The average grade point average for all recipients this year is 3.8.
Each year, campus presidents establish a selection committee that reviews exemplary students. Nominations are forwarded to the Chancellor's Office and undergo a second round of review. Finalists are recommended to the chancellor to become recipients of the award. Each recipient receives a framed certificate and medallion, which is traditionally worn at commencement.
- Students Recognize Contributions of Faculty, Staff
- Martin Hogue Receives Teaching Award
- Dr. John Farrell Named Exemplary Researcher at ESF
- ESF Staff, Faculty Honored by Chancellor
- Syracuse City Schools to take ESF’s Environmental Challenge
- Jorge Guarin Named SUNY Scholar-Athlete
- ESF Lists Top 10 New Species for 2017
- Dr. Nosa Egiebor Joins ESF as Provost, Executive VP
- Class of '17 Joins ESF Alumni Ranks
- Cultural and Natural Sustainability Come Together in New AIC Program
- Chemistry Student Wins Award
- ESF Announces Commencement Weekend Activities
- Oakie Acorn Receives Mascot Madness Trophy
- ESF Students Celebrate Arbor Day
- ESF Earns ‘Tree Campus’ Distinction
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210