ESF Habitat for Humanity Honored by SU Chancellor
Award cites community involvement
SUNY-ESF's participation in Habitat for Humanity was selected to receive a Syracuse University Chancellor's Award for Public Engagement and Scholarship and feted at a celebration dinner March 30.
SU Chancellor Nancy Cantor said the ESF-SU participation wasselected for "outstanding work in improving the quality of life in the greater Syracuse community," and because it exemplifies "the highest ideal of sustained, quality engagement with citizens in our community."
The joint SU-ESF Habitat for Humanity Chapter has a long record of community service including a new home under construction on Gifford Street in Syracuse and a new home constructed and dedicated on Elliott Street in 2010. In December 2010, more than two dozen chapter members spent winter break helping victims of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans. This past March, nearly 80 students traveled to several locations in Florida and elsewhere to help with Habitat for Humanity building projects.
Habitat held its third annual Shack-A-Thon in October 2010, hosting 12 SU-ESF student organizations that constructed their own "shacks" and raised more than $6,000.
- Commencement Celebrates 'Stumpies...Because We Care'
- ESF Alumna Named Schwarzman Scholar
- ESF Celebrates December Commencement
- ESF Discovery Could Advance Cancer Research
- Senior Accomplishes Goal: ‘Publish in a Journal’
- ESF Students Participate in SEA Semester Program
- ESF President Joins NY Botanical Garden as ‘Distinguished Counsellor’
- Blackstone LaunchPad Hosts Syracuse Qualifier for Hult Prize
- Dr. James Gibbs Named SUNY Distinguished Professor
- ESF Students Place Second in SU ‘Impact Prize’ Competition
- ESF Researcher, Ph.D. Candidate Attend First Bioeconomy Conference
- ESF Professor Receives National Forestry Award
- Nature and Health Come Together at Syracuse VA Medical Center
- Mighty Oaks Athletes Earn Honors
- USCAA National Championships Recap
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210