ESF Habitat for Humanity Honored by SU Chancellor
Award cites community involvement
SUNY-ESF's participation in Habitat for Humanity was selected to receive a Syracuse University Chancellor's Award for Public Engagement and Scholarship and feted at a celebration dinner March 30.
SU Chancellor Nancy Cantor said the ESF-SU participation wasselected for "outstanding work in improving the quality of life in the greater Syracuse community," and because it exemplifies "the highest ideal of sustained, quality engagement with citizens in our community."
The joint SU-ESF Habitat for Humanity Chapter has a long record of community service including a new home under construction on Gifford Street in Syracuse and a new home constructed and dedicated on Elliott Street in 2010. In December 2010, more than two dozen chapter members spent winter break helping victims of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans. This past March, nearly 80 students traveled to several locations in Florida and elsewhere to help with Habitat for Humanity building projects.
Habitat held its third annual Shack-A-Thon in October 2010, hosting 12 SU-ESF student organizations that constructed their own "shacks" and raised more than $6,000.
- ESF December Graduates Join Alumni Ranks
- AASHE Recognizes ESF for Sustainability Innovations
- ESF Celebrates December Commencement
- Teamwork Gets Soccer Players Volunteering for Food Recovery
- 9 Reasons Why ESF Students Love Centennial Hall
- 18 ESF Student-athletes Earn Fall Honors
- Mighty Oaks Women Fall in National Soccer Tournament Final
- Malmsheimer Receives Sir William Schlich Memorial Award
- ESF Hosts Symposium on Divestment and ‘Just Transition’
- XC Men Repeat as Conference Champs; Women 2nd
- New Book By ESF Professors Released
- Biomimicry Focus of Two-Day Event at ESF
- Mighty Oaks Soccer Teams Sweep Conference Championships
- ESF Celebrates Role of Field Science in Society
- ESF Education Helps Alumnus Launch Agritourism Success
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210