ESF Habitat for Humanity Honored by SU Chancellor
Award cites community involvement
SUNY-ESF's participation in Habitat for Humanity was selected to receive a Syracuse University Chancellor's Award for Public Engagement and Scholarship and feted at a celebration dinner March 30.
SU Chancellor Nancy Cantor said the ESF-SU participation wasselected for "outstanding work in improving the quality of life in the greater Syracuse community," and because it exemplifies "the highest ideal of sustained, quality engagement with citizens in our community."
The joint SU-ESF Habitat for Humanity Chapter has a long record of community service including a new home under construction on Gifford Street in Syracuse and a new home constructed and dedicated on Elliott Street in 2010. In December 2010, more than two dozen chapter members spent winter break helping victims of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans. This past March, nearly 80 students traveled to several locations in Florida and elsewhere to help with Habitat for Humanity building projects.
Habitat held its third annual Shack-A-Thon in October 2010, hosting 12 SU-ESF student organizations that constructed their own "shacks" and raised more than $6,000.
- ESF Students Celebrate Arbor Day
- ESF Earns ‘Tree Campus’ Distinction
- Oakie to Receive Mascot Madness Trophy
- Syracuse CoE Invites Proposals for Seed Projects in Environmental, Energy Systems
- Renowned Alumnus to Deliver Chemistry Centennial Lecture
- ESF Professor Co-authors Declaration to Support Indigenous Science
- ESF Joins Earth Day Teach-In on National Mall
- ERE Major Builds Lengthy Resume at ESF
- ESF Students Win StoryFest Competition
- Life at ESF Lures Student from San Francisco
- CNY Girls Summit Career Conference Comes to ESF
- Oakie Wins!
- Spotlight Shines on Student Research
- SUNY Honors ESF Student Excellence
- ESF Commits to Bee-Friendly Campus
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210