ESF Habitat for Humanity Honored by SU Chancellor
Award cites community involvement
SUNY-ESF's participation in Habitat for Humanity was selected to receive a Syracuse University Chancellor's Award for Public Engagement and Scholarship and feted at a celebration dinner March 30.
SU Chancellor Nancy Cantor said the ESF-SU participation wasselected for "outstanding work in improving the quality of life in the greater Syracuse community," and because it exemplifies "the highest ideal of sustained, quality engagement with citizens in our community."
The joint SU-ESF Habitat for Humanity Chapter has a long record of community service including a new home under construction on Gifford Street in Syracuse and a new home constructed and dedicated on Elliott Street in 2010. In December 2010, more than two dozen chapter members spent winter break helping victims of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans. This past March, nearly 80 students traveled to several locations in Florida and elsewhere to help with Habitat for Humanity building projects.
Habitat held its third annual Shack-A-Thon in October 2010, hosting 12 SU-ESF student organizations that constructed their own "shacks" and raised more than $6,000.
- Dr. Jack Manno, Cindy Squillace Honored with Racial Justice Award
- Mighty Oaks Hoops Play at the Dome
- ESF Celebrates Darwin and Wallace Feb. 15
- ESF Joins SUNY Puerto Rico Task Force
- Dr. Myron Mitchell Appointed to EPA Advisory Committee
- ESF, SU Celebrate Darwin’s Birthday with ‘Collecting Evolution’
- Smile! You’re On Canid Camera
- ESF, SU Announce Partnerships with Initial Focus on Water and Environment
- ESF Enhances Institutionalization of Inclusion, Equity, and Diversity
- What Species Is Most Fit for Life? All Have an Equal Chance, Scientists Say
- The Ocean Is Losing Its Breath
- Governor Unveils Plan to Protect N.Y. Lakes from Harmful Algal Blooms
- Acorns to Action Strives to Help Victims of Natural Disasters
- Synthetic Protein Could Be Key in Battle against Disease
- Hurricanes Hit, so Ph.D. Candidate Gets to Work in Puerto Rico
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210