Thursday, June 20, 2013
Subscribe (News reader required)
- ESF Faculty, Students Participate in Ecological Economics Summit
- Economic Development Project Focuses on ESF Willow Project
- ESF Partners in $15M NYSUNY 2020 Challenge Grant
- ESF Receives Prestigious Climate Leadership Award
- ESF, Upstate Receive Technology Accelerator Award
- ESF College Foundation Honors Miller for Teaching Achievement
- Fabius-Pompey HEROS Science Club Partners with ESF
- ESF Cheers for Student Athletes
- ESF Alumnus Inducted into NGA Hall of Fame
- Germain's Research Focuses on Working Forests
- ESF Student Named Scholar Athlete
- College Begins Expansion of Centennial Hall
ESF Habitat for Humanity Honored by SU Chancellor
Award cites community involvement
SUNY-ESF's participation in Habitat for Humanity was selected to receive a Syracuse University Chancellor's Award for Public Engagement and Scholarship and feted at a celebration dinner March 30.
SU Chancellor Nancy Cantor said the ESF-SU participation wasselected for "outstanding work in improving the quality of life in the greater Syracuse community," and because it exemplifies "the highest ideal of sustained, quality engagement with citizens in our community."
The joint SU-ESF Habitat for Humanity Chapter has a long record of community service including a new home under construction on Gifford Street in Syracuse and a new home constructed and dedicated on Elliott Street in 2010. In December 2010, more than two dozen chapter members spent winter break helping victims of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans. This past March, nearly 80 students traveled to several locations in Florida and elsewhere to help with Habitat for Humanity building projects.
Habitat held its third annual Shack-A-Thon in October 2010, hosting 12 SU-ESF student organizations that constructed their own "shacks" and raised more than $6,000.