ESF, SU to Present Farmer's Markets
First market to be held June 27
SYRACUSE - Are you craving fresh fruits and vegetables, or searching for a unique handmade item? Look no farther than the University Community Harvest Farmers' Market. The market will be held on four Fridays - June 27, Aug. 8, Sept. 12 and Oct. 10 - from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Waverly lot, located on the corner of Waverly and South Crouse avenues on the Syracuse University campus.
The market, presented by Syracuse University and the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry, is open to the public and will feature a variety of locally grown fruits and vegetables, plants, snacks, condiments, ceramics and handmade soaps. There will also be educational literature on healthy eating, sustainable practices and organic farming.
Nearly 30 Central New York farms and organizations will be represented this year. Participants include Black Brook Farm, Seneca Falls; Carvel Ice Cream, DeWitt; Community Supported Agriculture of Central New York, Syracuse; First Harvest Farm, Canastota; Grindstone Farm, Pulaski; Hafner's Farm, Liverpool; Hahn's Farm, Baldwinsville; Harvest Home Organics, Moravia; Little Joe's Fresh Home Grown Vegetables and Fruits, Pennellville; Onondaga County Health Department; Onondaga County Executive; Ramona's Dressings, Baldwinsville; Salvere Farm, Marietta.
Also participating are ESF, the SU Bookstore; SU Food Services; the SU Wellness Committee; SUNY Morrisville/Nielson Farms, Morrisville; Sweetrees Maple Products, Cicero; Syracuse Ceramics Guild, Syracuse Real Food Co-op; Syracuse Soapworks; the University Sustainability Action Committee; Watson Greenhouse, LaFayette; and Wylie Fox Farm, Cato.
This year's series of events builds on the success of the farmers' market pilot project staged by SU and ESF last October.
Community members working or living in downtown Syracuse are encouraged to travel to the farmers' market via the free Connective Corridor shuttle (Centro Route #543) from any of its designated stops along Fayette and State streets downtown and in the East Genesee Street business district; for information on the bus schedule and route, visit http://connectivecorridor.syr.edu/
For those driving to campus, free parking will be available in the University Avenue Garage.
- Newcomb Campus Hosts Sculptor as Artist-in-residence
- Secret Lives of Amazonian Fishes Revealed by Chemicals Stored in Their Ear-stones
- ESF Landscape Architecture Students Receive ASLA Honors
- Student's Project Dishes Up Food to Those in Need
- Dr. Stewart Diemont Receives Teaching Award
- Dr. Stephen Stehman Named ESF Exemplary Researcher
- ESF Student Finalist for Olmsted Scholar Award
- 2016 Adirondack BioBlitz Kicks Off in the St. Lawrence Valley
- ESF Graduate Joins Teach for America
- ESF Lists Top 10 New Species for 2016
- Advice for Graduates: Stay United, 'Enjoy Your Wisdom'
- NYSERDA Launches Climate Change Science Clearinghouse
- Heather Carl Named SUNY Scholar-Athlete
- ESF Announces Commencement Weekend Activities
- ‘Amazing Experience’ with Animals Leads to Career Goal
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210