ESF, SU to Present Farmer's Markets
First market to be held June 27
SYRACUSE - Are you craving fresh fruits and vegetables, or searching for a unique handmade item? Look no farther than the University Community Harvest Farmers' Market. The market will be held on four Fridays - June 27, Aug. 8, Sept. 12 and Oct. 10 - from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Waverly lot, located on the corner of Waverly and South Crouse avenues on the Syracuse University campus.
The market, presented by Syracuse University and the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry, is open to the public and will feature a variety of locally grown fruits and vegetables, plants, snacks, condiments, ceramics and handmade soaps. There will also be educational literature on healthy eating, sustainable practices and organic farming.
Nearly 30 Central New York farms and organizations will be represented this year. Participants include Black Brook Farm, Seneca Falls; Carvel Ice Cream, DeWitt; Community Supported Agriculture of Central New York, Syracuse; First Harvest Farm, Canastota; Grindstone Farm, Pulaski; Hafner's Farm, Liverpool; Hahn's Farm, Baldwinsville; Harvest Home Organics, Moravia; Little Joe's Fresh Home Grown Vegetables and Fruits, Pennellville; Onondaga County Health Department; Onondaga County Executive; Ramona's Dressings, Baldwinsville; Salvere Farm, Marietta.
Also participating are ESF, the SU Bookstore; SU Food Services; the SU Wellness Committee; SUNY Morrisville/Nielson Farms, Morrisville; Sweetrees Maple Products, Cicero; Syracuse Ceramics Guild, Syracuse Real Food Co-op; Syracuse Soapworks; the University Sustainability Action Committee; Watson Greenhouse, LaFayette; and Wylie Fox Farm, Cato.
This year's series of events builds on the success of the farmers' market pilot project staged by SU and ESF last October.
Community members working or living in downtown Syracuse are encouraged to travel to the farmers' market via the free Connective Corridor shuttle (Centro Route #543) from any of its designated stops along Fayette and State streets downtown and in the East Genesee Street business district; for information on the bus schedule and route, visit http://connectivecorridor.syr.edu/
For those driving to campus, free parking will be available in the University Avenue Garage.
- Oakie Advances to Round 2 in SUNY’s Mascot Madness
- ESF-LeMoyne Class Focuses on Environmental Ethics
- ESF Joins Partners to Create Climate-Resilient Forest on Tug Hill
- ESF’s Oakie the Acorn Enters SUNY’s Mascot Madness
- Travis Lecture Focuses on Role of Coyote in Northeastern Forests
- ESF Nordic Skier Competes in World University Games
- Academics, Athletics, Affordability Lure Soccer Captain to ESF
- Daily Adventures Mark Trip to South America
- Student from Italy Finds Motivation at ESF
- Diverse Backgrounds Help 2 Grads Connect with Prospective Students
- Ryan Caldwell Earns First Team All-American Honors
- Mighty American Chestnut Poised for Return to America’s Forests
- Walk on the Wild Side
- USA President Focuses on Building Relationships
- ESF among Peace Corps’ Top Volunteer-Producing Colleges
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210