ESF, SU to Present Farmer's Markets
First market to be held June 27
SYRACUSE - Are you craving fresh fruits and vegetables, or searching for a unique handmade item? Look no farther than the University Community Harvest Farmers' Market. The market will be held on four Fridays - June 27, Aug. 8, Sept. 12 and Oct. 10 - from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Waverly lot, located on the corner of Waverly and South Crouse avenues on the Syracuse University campus.
The market, presented by Syracuse University and the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry, is open to the public and will feature a variety of locally grown fruits and vegetables, plants, snacks, condiments, ceramics and handmade soaps. There will also be educational literature on healthy eating, sustainable practices and organic farming.
Nearly 30 Central New York farms and organizations will be represented this year. Participants include Black Brook Farm, Seneca Falls; Carvel Ice Cream, DeWitt; Community Supported Agriculture of Central New York, Syracuse; First Harvest Farm, Canastota; Grindstone Farm, Pulaski; Hafner's Farm, Liverpool; Hahn's Farm, Baldwinsville; Harvest Home Organics, Moravia; Little Joe's Fresh Home Grown Vegetables and Fruits, Pennellville; Onondaga County Health Department; Onondaga County Executive; Ramona's Dressings, Baldwinsville; Salvere Farm, Marietta.
Also participating are ESF, the SU Bookstore; SU Food Services; the SU Wellness Committee; SUNY Morrisville/Nielson Farms, Morrisville; Sweetrees Maple Products, Cicero; Syracuse Ceramics Guild, Syracuse Real Food Co-op; Syracuse Soapworks; the University Sustainability Action Committee; Watson Greenhouse, LaFayette; and Wylie Fox Farm, Cato.
This year's series of events builds on the success of the farmers' market pilot project staged by SU and ESF last October.
Community members working or living in downtown Syracuse are encouraged to travel to the farmers' market via the free Connective Corridor shuttle (Centro Route #543) from any of its designated stops along Fayette and State streets downtown and in the East Genesee Street business district; for information on the bus schedule and route, visit http://connectivecorridor.syr.edu/
For those driving to campus, free parking will be available in the University Avenue Garage.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Stages Exhibits at New York State Fair
- NYC Students Learn Hands-on Science
- Study in ‘Nature’ Details Global Land Change
- ESF, Ichor Therapeutics Team Up to Combat Age-related Illness
- Wagner Receives College Foundation Teaching Award
- Dr. Timothy Volk Named Exemplary Researcher at ESF
- ESF Professor Appointed to International Board on Lake Ontario
- Society of American Foresters Plays Key Role in Student’s ESF Experience
- ESF Staff, Faculty Honored by SUNY Chancellor
- SUNY Board of Trustees Appoints Interim President of ESF
- ESF Student Wins at COINS Grand Challenge
- ESF Students Return from Puerto Rico
- AEC’s McNulty Named President of OBFS
- Former ESF Cross Country Coach Inducted into USCAA Hall of Fame
- ESF Welcomes Camp Fire Professor of Wildlife Conservation
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210