Senator Schumer Supports Alternative Energy at ESF
Visits SUNY-ESF campus to tour the college's energy-research facilities
U.S. Senator Charles E. Schumer visited the SUNY-ESF campus July 1 to tour the college's energy-research facilities and to support tax incentives that would encourage development in the area of alternative energy.
Schumer said tax credits now pending before the Senate would boost innovative businesses that could create jobs for people in Central New York while developing alternatives to increasingly expensive fossil fuels.
"SUNY-ESF is one of the very bright spots in what seems like a pretty bleak energy future these days," Schumer said. "The tune is too familiar at this point - gas prices are through the roof and consumers are getting slammed. And this means one, very important thing: It's time to get serious about a long-term solution to our energy dependency."
Schumer spoke after a walking tour that included stops at the college's fuel cell, green roof and laboratories in Walters Hall. He also spoke with college faculty members and visiting business leaders about advancements in areas such as bioplastics and cellulosic ethanol.
More ESF News
- ESF Lists Top 10 New Species for 2018
- Mortarboards Fly and Students Become Alumni
- ESF Announces Career Fellows for 2018
- ESF Students Named SUNY Scholar-Athletes
- 14 ESF Students Set for Volunteer Work in Puerto Rico
- ESF Announces Commencement Weekend Activities
- ESF Honors Conservation Scientist Eleanor J. Sterling
- Researchers Find Whole Genome Duplication Has Occurred Many Times during Evolution of Insects
- Chemistry Graduate Student Wins Award
- Nomura Group Recognized for Top Article
- Hello, Mr. President — About the Environment…
- ESF Team among Finalists for $2.5M Canals Competition
- Two ESF Students Honored with Chancellor's Award
- 3 ESF Students among Winners at SU RvD iPrize Competition
- 4 ESF Students Honored as Storyfest 2018 Finalists
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210