Find Out What Forests Do for You
Adirondack Program Focuses on Forestry in 21st Century
The importance of forestry, forest management and the forest-products industry is the focus of a lecture series, "Working Forests Working for You," that will be offered through November at the Adirondack Interpretive Center in Newcomb, N.Y.
The series brings professionals from silviculture, private and state forest management, lumber and paper mills and forest products industry and trade advocacy groups to discuss the process of growing, managing and using forests in the 21st century.
Each lecture is approximately one hour, with time for discussion, and most sessions include an optional field trip. Trips include visits to diverse types and ages of forest stands, silvicultural and forestry research and demonstration sites, and active forest harvesting sites.
The program is offered through the Northern Forest Institute for Conservation Education and Leadership Training, part of the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF), which also oversees the Interpretive Center.
Sessions are the third Saturday of each month through November. The lineup of speakers is as follows:
• Silviculture and the Science of Forests; Ralph Nyland, Ph.D., SUNY-ESF
• The Science of Managing Forests; Rene Germain, Ph.D., SUNY-ESF
• New York's Greenest Natural Resource - Working Forests and the Conservation Easement program; state Department of Environmental Conservation Division of Lands and Forests
• From the Ground, Up - Managed Forests and Private Industry; F&W Forestry/Lyme Timber
• Seeing the Forest and the Trees - The Importance of Working Forests on a Regional, Global and Climatic Scale; Society of American Foresters
• Of Family and Forest; Ward Lumber
• Forest Products Industry I - Paper; International Paper
• Forest Products Industry II - Engineered Wood Products; Unadilla Silo Co., UnaLam
• Forest Products Industry III - Empire State Forest Products Association
• Wild and Working Forests: Values, Principles and Ethics; Adirondack Wild
For more information, contact Paul Hai at email@example.com.
Recent ESF News
- 2018 Fall Sports Preview
- ESF Stages Exhibits at New York State Fair
- NYC Students Learn Hands-on Science
- Study in ‘Nature’ Details Global Land Change
- ESF, Ichor Therapeutics Team Up to Combat Age-related Illness
- Wagner Receives College Foundation Teaching Award
- Dr. Timothy Volk Named Exemplary Researcher at ESF
- ESF Professor Appointed to International Board on Lake Ontario
- Society of American Foresters Plays Key Role in Student’s ESF Experience
- ESF Staff, Faculty Honored by SUNY Chancellor
- SUNY Board of Trustees Appoints Interim President of ESF
- ESF Student Wins at COINS Grand Challenge
- ESF Students Return from Puerto Rico
- AEC’s McNulty Named President of OBFS
- Former ESF Cross Country Coach Inducted into USCAA Hall of Fame
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210