419 Walters Hall
1 Forestry Dr.
Syracuse, New York 13210
- Chemistry of lignocellulosics and new technologies in utilization
- Structure, reactivity, and utilization of lignin and extractives
- Pulping and bleaching
- Pulp and paper properties
- PSE465/665 Fiber and Paper Properties
- PSE223 Introduction to Lignocellulosics
- PSE466/666 Paper Pigment and Barrier Coating
- BPE335/535 Transport Phenomena
- BPE596 Discover Lignocellulosics I: Chemistry
- PSE300 Introduction to Papermaking
Current Graduate Advisees
- Degree Sought: PHD in Paper and Bioprocess Engineering
- Graduate Advisor(s): Amidon and Bujanovic
- Degree Sought: MS
- Graduate Advisor(s): Bujanovic
- Area of Study: Paper Science and Engineering
- Degree Sought: PHD
- Graduate Advisor(s): Bujanovic
- Area of Study: Bioprocess Engineering
I have always been fascinated by green technology. I truly believe that being a part of one of the best schools in the field of environmental sciences will give me an immense opportunity to delve into the exciting, new challenges that this ever-growing field presents to the avid researchers. It will always be my dream to contribute to this field by combining my pharmaceutical and bioprocessing knowledge to develop novel bio-products using green solutions. Apart from my research, I love reading and singing and Iím an occasional dabbler in astronomy and photography.
In the final analysis, its between you and yourself; it was never between you and them anyway.
My research interests include (but are not limited to): Biopharmaceuticals, Bioenergy, Biocatalysis, Lignocellulosics
- Degree Sought: MS
- Graduate Advisor(s): Driscoll and Bujanovic
- Area of Study: Ecosystem Restoration
- Ph.D., Paper Science and Engineering, Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, MI
- Ph.D., Wood Chemistry, Belgrade University, Serbia
- M.S., Wood Chemistry, Belgrade University, Serbia
- Graduate Engineer of Technology - Environmental Protection: College of Technology and Metallurgy, Belgrade University, Serbia
- Associate Professor /2013-present, SUNY-ESF, Syracuse, NY
- Assistant Professor /2007-2013, SUNY-ESF, Syracuse, NY
- Visiting Assistant Professor /2006-2007, SUNY-ESF, Syracuse, NY
- Assistant Scientist /2004-2006, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, WI
- Doctoral Fellow /1999-2003, Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, MI
- Assistant to Professor/1986-1999, College of Forestry, Belgrade University, Belgrade, Serbia
Selected Publications and Presentations
- Bujanovic, B.M. and Amidon, T.E. (2012):”Paper,” in Encyclopedia of Science & Technology, Vol. 12, 11th edition McGraw-Hill, New York: 822-826.
- Ye, P.X., Cheng, L., Ma, H., Bujanovic, B., Goundalkar, M., and Amidon, T.E. (2012):”Biorefinery with water,“ in: “The Role of Green Chemistry in Biomass processing and Conversion,” ed. Xie, H. and Gathergood, N., Wiley John&Sons, Inc., Hoboken, NJ: 135-180.
- Gong, C., Bujanovic, B. (2016):”Effect of hot-water extraction of sugar maple on organosolv delignification and lignin recovery,” J. Bioresources Bioproducts, 1(1):22-29.
- Dongre, P; Driscoll, M; Amidon, T.E; Bujanovic, B (2015). “Lignin Furfural Based Adhesives," Energies, 8: 7897-791.
- Corbett, D.B., Kohan, N., Machado, G., Jing, C., Nagardeolekar, A., and Bujanovic, B.M. (2015):”Chemical composition of apricot pit shells and effect of hot-water extraction,” Energies, 8: 9640-9654.
- Goundalkar, M.J., Corbett, D.B., and Bujanovic, B.M. (2014): “Comparative Analysis of Milled Wood Lignins (MWLs) Isolated from Sugar Maple (SM) and Hot-Water Extracted Sugar Maple (ESM),” Energies 7(3):1363-1375.
- Song, Q., Winter, W.T., Bujanovic, B.M., and Amidon, T.E. (2014): "Nanofibrillated Cellulose (NFC): A High-Value Co-Product that Improves the Economics of Cellulosic Ethanol Production." Energies 7, no. 2: 607-618.
- Gong, C. and Bujanovic, B.M. (2014): "Impact of Hot-Water Extraction on Acetone-Water Oxygen Delignification of Paulownia Spp. and Lignin Recovery." Energies 7, no. 2: 857-873.
- Gong, C., Hasan, A., Bujanovic, B., and Amidon, T.E. (2012): ”Novel blend of biorenewable wet-end paper agents,” TAPPI J. 11(1): 41-48.
- Bujanovic, B., Goundalkar, M., and Amidon, T.E. (2012): “Increasing the Value of a Biorefinery Based on Hot-Water Extraction: Lignin Products,” TAPPI J. 11(1):19-26.
- Gong, C., Goundalkar, M., Bujanovic, B., and Amidon, T.E. (2012): “Evaluation of different sulfur-free delignification methods for hot-water extracted hardwood,“ J. Wood Chem. Technol. 32 (2):93-104.
- Goundalkar, M., Bujanovic, B., and Amidon, T.E. (2010):”Analysis of Non-Carbohydrate Based Low-Molecular Weight Organic Compounds Dissolved During Hot-Water Extraction of Sugar Maple,” Cell. Chem. Technol., 44 (1-3):27-33.
- Hasan, A., Bujanovic, B., and Amidon, T. (2010): “Strength properties of kraft pulp produced from hot-water extracted wood chips within the biorefinery,” J. Biobased Mater. Bioenergy, 4(1): 46-52.
- Bujanovic, B., Ralph, S. A., Reiner, R. S., Hirth, K., and Atalla, R. H. (2010): “Polyoxometalates in oxidative delignification of chemical pulps: Effect on lignin,“ Materials 3(3): 1888-1903.
- Bujanovic, B., Ralph, S. A., Reiner, R. S., and Atalla, R. H. (2010): “Polyoxometalate Delignification of Birch Kraft pulp and Effect on Residual Lignin,” J. Wood Chem. Technol., 31 (2): 121-141.
- Bujanovic, B., Ralph, S. A., Reiner, R. S., and Atalla, R. H. (2007):“Lignin Modification in the Initial Phase of Softwood Kraft Pulp Delignification with Polyoxometalates (POMs),” Holzforschung, 61(5):492-498.
- Bujanovic, B., Yilgor, N., Cameron, J., and Aravamuthan, R. (2004): “Chemical Characterization of Birch, Maple, and Spruce Kraft and Kraft-Borate Pulps,” J. Pulp Paper Sci. 30 (7): 183-190.
- Bujanovic, B., Cameron, J., and Yilgor, N. (2004): “Some Properties of Kraft and Kraft-Borate Pulps of Different Wood Species,” TAPPI J. 3 (6): 3-6.
- Bujanovic, B., Cameron, J., and Yilgor, N. (2003): “Comparative Studies of Kraft and Kraft-Borate Pulping of Black Spruce,” J. Pulp Paper Sci. 29 (6): 190-196.
- Bujanovic, B. and Cameron, J. (2001): “Effect of Sodium Metaborate on the Boiling Point Rise of Slash Pine Black Liquor,” Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 40 (11): 2518-2524.
- Goundalkar, M. and Bujanovic, B. (2011): “Hydrothermal treatment of aspen and Loblolly pine milled wood lignin,” 16th ISWFPC, June 8-10, 2011, Tianjin, China; Proceedings, Wang, L., Kuang, S., Hou, Q., Cao, C., Si, C. and Zhang, H. eds., Vol.I: 1021-1024; oral presentation.
- Bujanovic, B., Goundalkar, M., and Amidon, T.E. (2009):”Non-carbohydrate-based products extracted during hot-water extraction of sugar maple,” 30th SETAC North America Annual Meeting: Green Biorefinery, November 19-23, New Orleans, LA: platform presentation: 425.
- Bujanovic, B., Hirth, K. C., Ralph, S. A., Reiner, R. S., and Atalla, R. H. (2007): “Composition of the Organic Components in Polyoxometalate (POM) Liquors from Kraft Pulp Bleaching,” 14th ISWFPC Durban, June 25-28, 2007, Conf. CD, oral presentation.
- Dongre, P; Machado, G; Driscoll, M; Amidon, T and Bujanovic, B. "Potential uses of biorefinery lignin - thermoplastics and adhesives" TAPPI IBBC Conference 2015, Oct 28-30, Atlanta, GA. Poster #3; (Best poster award).
- Goundalkar, M., Bujanovic, B., and Amidon, T.E. (2010):”Comparative analysis of fermentation inhibitors dissolved from three hardwood species during HWE,” International Conference on Biomass Energy Technologies (ICBT2010), August 21-23, 2010, Beijing, China, Proceedings: 195; Poster #PO_2_25. (Best poster award).
- Bujanovic, B., Reiner, R. S., Hirth, K. C., Ralph, S. A., and Atalla, R. H. (2005): “Studies of Lignin Transformation in Polyoxometalate (POM) Bleaching of Kraft Pulp,” 13th ISWFPC Auckland, New Zealand, May 16-19, 2005, Proc., Vol. 3: 49-56 (Poster Pres.).
- Mangesh Goundalkar, Spring 2014, PhD Thesis: ”Investigating the Effect of Hot-Water Extraction on Phenolic Constituents of Selected Hardwoods:A Study Aided by 2D NMR and GC-MS,” SUNY-ESF, Syracuse, NY; Research Scientist at Pfizer Inc., NJ
- Chen Gong, Fall 2014, PhD Thesis: ”Utility of Organosolv Delignification in a Hardwood Biorefinery based on Hot-Water Extraction,” SUNY-ESF, Syracuse, NY; Research Scientist at China National Pulp and Paper Research Institute (CNPPRI), Beijing, China
- Derek B. Corbett, Spring 2016, MS Thesis: “Recovery of Lignin from Hot-Water Extracts of Sugar Maple: Valorization by Catalytic Fast Pyrolysis,” SUNY-ESF, Syracuse, NY; Fall 2016: PhD student at NCSU (Raleigh, NC): Forest Biomaterials