459 Illick Hall
1 Forestry Dr.
Syracuse, New York 13210
Ph.D. University of Minnesota-Twin Cities
Plant Ecology, Forest Ecosystems, Global Change, Biodiversity, Ecosystem Management & Restoration.
- Plant Ecology & Global Change
- Flowering Plants: Diversity, Evolution & Systematics
- Global Change Ecology Seminar
- Tropical Ecology (Co-taught)
- Impacts of Deer on Forests Seminar (Co-taught)
- Adaptive Peaks Seminar (Co-taught)
- Natural Resource Management
- Landscape Ecology
- Foundations of Ecology
Examples of Recent Support
(only grants >$50,000 shown)
- NYSERDA; $200,000; 2015-2017. “Effects of acidic deposition and soil acidification on forest understory plant biodiversity in the Adirondack Mountains”. T. Sullivan (PI), M. Dovciak, G. Lawrence, T. McDonnell ($87,001 to M. Dovciak).
- New York State Department of Environmental Conservation; $312,213; 2013-2017. “Evaluating Deer Impacts on Forests of New York State”. M. Dovciak (PI), J. Frair, J. Hurst, P. Curtis, P. Smallidge.
- Northeastern States Research Cooperative; $89,497; 2012-2015. “Global change fingerprints in montane boreal forests: Implications for biodiversity and management of the northeastern protected areas”. M. Dovciak (PI), C. Beier, G. Lawrence, J. Battles.
- Electric Power Research Institute; $414,551; 2012-2016. “Cost effectiveness of cleaning techniques for controlling human-based transport of invasive exotic plants on electric transmission line rights-of-way across New York”. C. Nowak (PI), M. Dovciak ($176,184 to M. Dovciak).
(* graduate or ** undergraduate advisee; Complete publication list is here)
- Wason JW *, Dovciak M (in press) Tree demography suggests multiple directions and drivers for species range shifts in mountains of Northeastern United States. Global Change Biology, doi:10.1111/gcb.13584.
- Wason JW *, Bevilacqua E, Dovciak M (in press) Climates on the move: Implications of climate warming for species distributions in mountains of the northeastern United States. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agrformet.2017.05.019
- Wason JW *, Dovciak M, Beier CM, Battles JJ (in press) Tree growth is more sensitive than species distributions to recent changes in climate and acidic deposition in the northeastern United States. Journal of Applied Ecology, doi:10.1111/1365-2664.12899
- Alvarez-Yepiz JC *, Burquez A, Martinez-Yrizar A, Teece M, Yepez EA, Dovciak M (2017) Resource partitioning by evergreen and deciduous species in a tropical dry forest. Oecologia 183: 607–618.
- Jaloviar P, Saniga M, Kucbel S, Pittner J, Vencurik J, Dovciak M (2017). Seven decades of change in a European old-growth forest following a stand-replacing wind disturbance: A long-term case study. Forest Ecology and Management 399: 197–205.
- Raney PA, Leopold DJ, Dovciak M, Beier C (2016) Hydrologic position mediates sensitivity of tree growth to climate: Groundwater subsidies provide a thermal buffer effect in wetlands. Forest Ecology and Management 379: 70–80.
- Dovciak M, Hrivnak R, Ujhazy K, Gomory D (2015) Patterns of grassland invasions by trees: insights from demographic and genetic spatial analyses. Journal of Plant Ecology 8: 468–479.
- Alvarez-Yepiz JC *, Dovciak M (2015) Enhancing ecosystem function through conservation: threatened plants increase local carbon storage in tropical dry forests. Tropical Conservation Science 8: 999–1008.
- Alvarez–Yepiz JC *, Burquez A, Dovciak M (2014) Ontogenetic shifts in plant-plant interactions in a rare cycad within angiosperm communities. Oecologia 175: 725–735.
- Dovciak M, Brown J** (2014) Secondary edge effects in regenerating forest landscapes: vegetation and microclimate patterns and their implications for management and conservation. New Forests 45: 733–744.
- Frelich LE, Peterson RO, Dovciak M, Reich PB, Vucetich JA, Eisenhauer N (2012) Trophic cascades, invasive species, and body-size hierarchies interactively modulate climate change responses of ecotonal temperate-boreal forest. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. B 367: 2955–2961.
- Halpern CB, Halaj J, Evans SA, Dovciak M (2012) Level and pattern of overstory retention interact to shape long-term responses of understories to timber harvest. Ecological Applications 22: 2049–2064.
- Dovciak M, Halpern CB (2010) Positive diversity-stability relationships in forest herb populations during four decades of community assembly. Ecology Letters 13: 1300–1309.
- Dovciak M, Frelich LE, Reich PB (2005) Pathways in old-field succession to white pine: seed rain, shade, and climate effects. Ecological Monographs 75: 363–378.
- Dovciak M, Frelich LE, Reich PB (2001) Discordance in spatial patterns of white pine (Pinus strobus) size-classes in a patchy near-boreal forest. Journal of Ecology 89: 280–291.