459 Illick Hall
1 Forestry Dr.
Syracuse, New York 13210
Ph.D. University of Minnesota-Twin Cities
Plant Ecology, Forest Ecosystems, Global Change, Biodiversity, Ecosystem Management & Restoration.
- Plant Ecology & Global Change
- Flowering Plants: Diversity, Evolution & Systematics
- Global Change Ecology Seminar
- Impacts of Deer on Forests Seminar (Co-taught)
- Adaptive Peaks Seminar (Co-taught)
- Natural Resource Management
- Landscape Ecology
- Foundations of Ecology
(only grants >$50,000 shown)
- NYSERDA; $200,000; 2015-2016. “Effects of acidic deposition and soil acidification on forest understory plant biodiversity in the Adirondack Mountains”. T. Sullivan (PI), M. Dovciak, G. Lawrence, T. McDonnell ($87,001 to M. Dovciak).
- New York State Department of Environmental Conservation; $312,213; 2013-2017. “Evaluating Deer Impacts on Forests of New York State”. M. Dovciak (PI), J. Frair, J. Hurst, P. Curtis, P. Smallidge.
- Northeastern States Research Cooperative; $89,497; 2012-2015. “Global change fingerprints in montane boreal forests: Implications for biodiversity and management of the northeastern protected areas”. M. Dovciak (PI), C. Beier, G. Lawrence, J. Battles.
- Electric Power Research Institute; $414,551; 2012-2015. “Cost effectiveness of cleaning techniques for controlling human-based transport of invasive exotic plants on electric transmission line rights-of-way across New York”. C. Nowak (PI), M. Dovciak ($176,184 to M. Dovciak).
(Complete publication list is here)
- Dovciak M, Hrivnak R, Ujhazy K, Gomory D. 2015. Patterns of grassland invasions by trees: insights from demographic and genetic spatial analyses. Journal of Plant Ecology, in press, DOI: 10.1093/jpe/rtu038. PDF
- Alvarez–Yepiz JC, Burquez A, Dovciak M. 2014. Ontogenetic shifts in plant-plant interactions in a rare cycad within angiosperm communities. Oecologia 175, 725-735. PDF
- Giencke L, Dovciak M, Mountrakis G, Cale J, Mitchell M. 2014. Beech bark disease: Spatial patterns of thicket formation and disease spread in an aftermath forest in the northeastern United States. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 44, 1042-1050. PDF
- Dovciak M, Brown J. 2014. Secondary edge effects in regenerating forest landscapes: vegetation and microclimate patterns and their implications for management and conservation. New Forests 45, 733-744. PDF
- Wiezik M, Svitok M, Wiezikova A, Dovciak M. 2013. Shrub encroachment alters composition and diversity of ant communities in abandoned grasslands of western Carpathians. Biodiversity and Conservation 22:2305-2320. PDF.
- Frelich LE, Peterson RO, Dovciak M, Reich PB, Vucetich JA, Eisenhauer N. 2012. Trophic cascades, invasive species, and body-size hierarchies interactively modulate climate change responses of ecotonal temperate-boreal forest. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. B 367: 2955-2961. PDF.
- Halpern CB, Halaj J, Evans SA, Dovciak M. 2012. Level and pattern of overstory retention interact to shape long-term responses of understories to timber harvest. Ecological Applications. 22, 2049–2064. PDF.
- Beier CM, Stella JA, Dovciak M, McNulty SA. 2012. Local climatic drivers of changes in phenology at a boreal-temperate ecotone in eastern North America. Climatic Change 115: 399-417. PDF
- Alvarez-Yepiz J.C., Dovciak M., Burquez A. 2011. Persistence of a rare ancient cycad: effects of environment and demography. Biological Conservation 144, 122-130. PDF
- Dovciak M., Halpern C.B. 2010. Positive diversity-stability relationships in forest herb populations during four decades of community assembly. Ecology Letters 13, 1300-1309. PDF
- Dovciak M., Hrivnak R., Ujhazy K., Gomory D. 2008. Seed rain and environmental controls on invasion of Picea abies into grassland. Plant Ecology 194, 135-148. PDF
- Dovciak M, Halpern CB, Saracco JF, Evans SA, Liguori DA. 2006. Persistence of ground-layer bryophytes in a structural-retention experiment: initial effects of level and pattern of overstory retention. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 36: 3039-3052. PDF
- Dovciak M., Frelich L.E. Reich P.B. 2005. Pathways in old-field succession to white pine: seed rain, shade, and climate effects. Ecological Monographs 75, 363–378. PDF
- Dovciak M, Reich PB, Frelich LE. 2003. Seed rain, safe sites, competing vegetation, and soil resources spatially structure white pine regeneration and recruitment. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 33: 1892–1904. PDF
- Dovciak M, Frelich LE., Reich PB. 2001. Discordance in spatial patterns of white pine (Pinus strobus) size-classes in a patchy near-boreal forest. Journal of Ecology 89: 280-291. PDF