Sharon D. Moran
220 Marshall Hall
1 Forestry Dr.
Syracuse, New York 13210
Leader, Environmental and Natural Resources Policy (ENRP) Ph.D. Program
- Adjunct Faculty, Department of Geography, Syracuse University
- Faculty, CASSE Program: Certificate of Advanced Study in Sustainable Enterprise, Syracuse University and SUNY - ESF
- Ph.D., Geography, Clark University, 2000
- M.S., Political Science and Public Policy, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- B.A., Chemistry, Boston University
- Political ecology; environment-society relations
- ‘Green’ and innovative technologies; sustainable enterprise
- Human dimensions of water/ wastewater issues; policy and regulation
- Post-communist countries - environmental issues
- Qualitative research methods
Current Graduate Advisees
- Degree Sought: MPS
- Graduate Advisor(s): Briggs and Moran
- Area of Study: Water & Wetland Resource Studies
Note: Prof. Moran’s graduate students are enrolled in either (1) the Dept. of Environmental Studies OR (2) GPES (Graduate Programs in Environmental Sciences, a cross-campus, interdisciplinary program, which also houses the doctoral program in Environmental and Natural Resources Policy).
- Coastal issues: The NOAA-Sea Grant Coastal Storms Awareness Program // Understanding Responses to Storm Warnings: Learning from Those Who "Rode Out" Hurricane Sandy// http://www.esf.edu/communications/view.asp?newsID=2558
- Wasteful cultivation: Engaging the water cycle in everyday life
- What do we want in our watersheds?
- Comer, Bryan and Sharon Moran. 2017. The Evolution of Empirical Environmental Justice Research Methods: A Call for Greater Use of Geographically Weighted Regression, Environmental Justice, February, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 11-15.
- Leah Harnish, Adam T. Carpenter, and Sharon Moran. 2016. Comparing Water Source Knowledge in Cities that Exceed the Lead Action Level. Journal of the American Water Works Association, December, vol. 108, no. 12, pp. 606-614 http://dx.doi.org/10.5942/jawwa.2017.109.0015
- Moran, Sharon, Meredith Perreault, and Richard Smardon. 2016. Finding Our Way: A Case Study of Urban Waterway Restoration and Participatory Process, Landscape and Urban Planning, October http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.landurbplan.2016.08.004
- Marlon, Jennifer, E. Christa Farmer, and Sharon Moran. 2015. Communicating Hurricane Risks: Challenges and Recommendations. November. Eos (Transactions, American Geophysical Union).https://eos.org/meeting-reports/communicating-hurricane-risks-challenges-and-recommendations#.VlTHLmnww8s.email
- Magnuszewski, Artur, Edyta Kiedrzyńska, Marcin Kiedrzyński, and Sharon Moran. 2014. GIS Approach to Estimation of the Total Phosphorous Transfer in the Pilica River Lowland Catchment. Quaestiones Geographicae. September, 33(3) 101-110. doi 10.2478/quageo-2014-0033
- Magnuszewski, Artur, Sharon Moran. 2014. Vistula River bed erosion processes and their influence on Warsaw's flood safety.In Sediment Dynamics: From the Summit to the Sea, Proceedings of the Symposium of International Commission on Continental Erosion, IAHS 367.Wallingford, UK: IAHS Press. doi:10.5194/piahs-367-147-2015
- Dimpfl, Mike and Sharon Moran. 2014. "Waste matters: Compost, domestic practice, and the transformation of alternative toilet cultures around Skaneateles, NY," Environment and Planning D: Society and Space, 32: 721-738.
- Dimpfl, Mike and Sharon Moran. 2011. "Composting toilet," in Green Technology: An A–Z Guide, eds. Paul Robbins and Dustin Mulvaney. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Press.
- Moran, Sharon. 2010. "Cities, Creeks, and Erasure: Stream Restoration and Environmental Justice," Environmental Justice, June 2010, 3(2): 61-69.
- Baruah, Mitul, and Sharon Moran. 2010. "Ecological Economics". In Green Politics, ed. Paul Robbins. Sage Reference Series on Green Society, vol. 2. [online]. Sage.
- Magnuszewski, Artur, Sharon Moran, and Guoliang Yu. 2010. "Modeling Lowland Reservoir Sedimentation Conditions and Potential Environmental Consequences of Dam Removal: Wloclawek Reservoir, Vistula River, Poland." Pp. 8-16 in Sediment Dynamics for a Changing Future, ed. Kazimierez Banasik. Proceedings of the Symposium of International Commission on Continental Erosion. Publication 337. Wallingford, UK: IAHS Press. Available here.
- Moran, Sharon. 2009. "Bytes of Note - The State of the Toilet," Environment 51(11 November): 7-8. Available here.
- Moran, Sharon. 2008. "Under the Lawn: Engaging the Water Cycle," Ethics, Place, and Environment 11(2): 129-145.
- Moran, Sharon. 2007. "Stream Restoration Projects: A Critical Analysis of Urban Greening," Local Environment 12(2): 111-128.
- Moran, Sharon. 2003. "Stream Restoration: Opportunities for Synthesis and Integration," Journal of Geography 102(2, March-April): 67-79.
- Moran, Sharon. 2003. "Review of 'The Carbon Wars' by Jeremy Leggett," Economic Geography 79:1 (January).
- Moran, Sharon. 2002. "Teaching Stream Restoration: A Senior Seminar Theme". In Teaching Sustainability at Universities: Toward Curriculum Greening, ed. Walter Leal Filho. Frankfurt: Peter Lang.
- EST 600 Foundations of Environmental Studies (graduate)
- EST 652 Managing Sustainability (graduate)
- EST 759 Sustainability Driven Enterprise (graduate)
- EST 796 Environmental Health Policy (graduate)
- EST 797 Comparative Environmental Policy: US-Canada (graduate)
- ENS 797 Environmental Health Policy (graduate)
- EST 797 Human Dimensions of Water Systems (graduate)
- EST 797 Human Dimensions of Dirty Water (graduate)
- EST 797 Human Dimensions of Water Problems (graduate)
- EST 221 Introduction to American Government (undergraduate)
- Association of American Geographers
- American Political Science Association
- Society for the History of Technology
- American Association for the Advancement of Slavic Studies