Richard C. Smardon
Distinguished Service Professor Emeritus
211B Marshall Hall
1 Forestry Dr.
Syracuse, New York 13210
- Ph.D., Environmental Planning, University of California at Berkeley, 1982
- M.L.A., Landscape Architecture, University of Massachusetts, 1973
- B.S., Environmental Design, cum laude, University of Massachusetts, 1970
- Wetland assessment and management
- Landscape management policy
- Public participation and decision-making
- Sustainable development, eco-tourism, biosphere reserve management
- Energy sustainability planning and implementation
- Visual impact assessment
Johnson, L. L. and R.C. Smardon. 2011. Case study of a restored wetland-treatment best management practice. Wetlands; Journal of the Society of Wetlands Scientists 31:921-931.
Park, Seoyhun and R.C. Smardon. 2011. Worldview and social amplification of risk framework; dioxin risk case in Korea. International Journal of Applied Environmental Sciences 6(2): 173-191.
Smardon, R.C. 2011. Developing a national framework for internal/external review of undergraduate environmental studies/environmental science programs, Interdisciplinary Environmental Review 12(3): 244-257.
Baptiste, A. and R.C. Smardon. 2012. A review of the wetland use and management of the Nariva Swamp, Trinidad. Caribbean Geography 17(1&2): 57-72.
Barnhill K. and R.C. Smardon. 2012. Gaining Ground: Green infrastructure attitudes and Perceptions from stakeholders in Syracuse, New York. Environmental Practice 14(1): 6-16 (Special issue on Green Infrastructure).
Masquita, M and R.C. Smardon. 2012. The potential of a small-scale agro-industry as a sustainable livelihood strategy in a Caribbean archipelago province of Columbia, Journal of Sustainable Development 5(3): 16-32.
Moghariya, D. and R. Smardon. 2012. Rural perspectives of climate change; A study from Saurastra and Kutch of Western India, Public Understanding of Science at DOI: 10.1177/0963662512465698.
Pasi, N. and R.C. Smardon. 2012. Inter-Linking of Rivers: A solution for water crisis in India or a decision in doubt? The Journal of Science Policy and Governance 2 (1): 1-41.
Wu, Guihan and R.C. Smardon. 2012. "Using Alkalinity as a Tracer to Estimate the Ratios of Sewage in Combined Sewer Overflows (CSOs)", Journal of Environmental Science and Engineering 1(2012): 727-731.
Darkwa, S., and R.C. Smardon. 2010. "Ecosystem restoration; evaluating local knowledge and management systems in Fosu Lagoon, Ghana," Environmental Practice 12(3):202-213.
Smardon, R.C. 2009. "Urban Recreation Park Sustainability in an Asian Context," International Journal of Applied Environmental Sciences 4(2):193-202.
Park, S., and R.C. Smardon. 2009. "Intergenerational Differences in Values and Dioxin Risk Perceptions in South Korea," The Management of Environmental Quality: An International Journal 20(5): 522-537.
Smardon, R.C. 2009. Sustaining the World's Wetlands: Setting Policy and Resolving Conflicts. NY: Springer-Verlag.
Menezes, A., R.C. Smardon, and T. de Almeida. 2009. "The Changing Dynamics of Local Institutions in Fishing Communities in Mozambique: Responses to Policy, Public Participation, and Decisionmaking," Environmental Practice 11(1):32-51.
Smardon, R.C. 2008. "A Comparison of Local Agenda 21 Implementation in North American, European and Indian cities," Management of Environmental Quality 19(1):118-137.
Smardon, R.C., and B.B. Faust, eds. 2006. Special issue, "International Policy in the Biosphere Reserves in Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula," Landscape and Urban Planning 74.
Smardon, R.C., and B.B. Faust. 2006. "Introduction: International Policy in the Biosphere Reserves in Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula," Landscape and Urban Planning 74:160-192.
Smardon, R.C. 2006. "Heritage values and functions of wetlands in Southern Mexico," Landscape and Urban Planning 74:296-312.
Loftus, K.K., R.C. Smardon, and B.A. Potter. 2004. "Strategies for the Stewardship and Conservation of Great Lakes Coastal Wetlands," Aquatic Ecosystem Health and Management 7(2):305-330.
Smardon, R.C. 2003. "The Role of Nongovernment Organizations for Sustaining Wetland Heritage Values." Pp. 795-815 in Regards Croisés sur le Patrimoine à l’aube du XXIe Siècle [Varied Perspectives on Heritage at the Beginning of the 21st Century], ed. M. Gravari-Barbas. Presses Universitaires de la Sorbonne, Paris.
Faust, B.B., and R.C. Smardon, eds. 2001. Special issue, "Environmental Knowledge, Rights, and Ethics: Co-managing with Communities," Environmental Science & Policy 4 (4/5).
Nordenstam, B.J., and R.C. Smardon, eds. 1998. Special issue, "Adirondacks and Beyond: Understanding Air Quality and Ecosystem Relationships," Environmental Science & Policy 1(3).
- EST 426, Community Planning and Sustainability
- EST 427/ 627, Environmental and Energy Auditing
- EST 625, Wetland Management Policy (Fall, odd years)
- EST 635, Public Participation and Decision-Making (Spring)
- EST 797, Environmental Studies Seminar (Spring)
Current Graduate Advisees
- Degree Sought: PHD
- Graduate Advisor(s): Newman and Smardon
- Area of Study: Environmental and Natural Resources Policy
- Degree Sought: PHD
- Graduate Advisor(s): Sonnenfeld and Smardon
- Area of Study: Environmental and Community Land Planning
- Undergraduate Institute: University of Puerto Rico Rio Piedras* (Environmental Science)
- Previous Graduate Study: University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras (Environmental and Social Planning)
Doctoral Research Topic
The Ramsar Convention and Its Effectiveness in Developing Site Management Plans for Mangrove Ecosystems in the Wider Caribbean Region
Areas of Interest
Coastal ecosystem services; International environmental agreements; Environmental planning; the Caribbean region
Graduate Student Advising
Since I have been at SUNY-ESF (1979), I have advised approximately 70 graduate students and about 45 have been partially funded. I have sponsored eight visiting scholars - three from the Polytechnic City University of Madrid; one from the Polytechnic in Greece; one from Mumbai, India; and three from CINVESTAV, Merida, Mexico, through the Randolph G. Pack Environmental Institute.
- National Association of Environmental Professionals, Education Research and Science Working Group, Chair (2007-)
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- New York Academy of Sciences
Public and Community Service
- New York State Great Lakes Basin Advisory Council, Chair (appointed)
- Onondaga County Resource and Recovery Agency, Governing Board (appointed)
- Central New York Land Trust, Board of Directors