Formal Name: F. Franklin Moon Library
Dedication Date: 1968
Gross Area: 42,450 SF
Original Cost: $1,358,000
Primary Use: Teaching; Research; Service
- Moon Library
- Instructional Technology Service (ITS)
- US Forest Service Cooperative Research Unit (room 5 and 6)
- Academic Success Center
- Terence J. Hoverter Archives
- Fletcher Steele Collection
- Thomas Cook Collection
Program Support Facilities
- Reference Area (upper level)
- Periodical Room (upper level)
- Bilbliography Center (upper level)
- Interlibrary Loan Center (room103)
- Archives and Special Collections (room 15)
- Computing Center (room 14)
- Conference Room (room 19)
Specialized Equipment: 115,000 catalogued items, 1,846 serials and abstracts, 1,084 journals
Built in 1968, Moon Library is home to one of the nation’s best collections of books and educational materials dedicated to the environment and natural resources fields.
Moon Library underwent an “extreme makeover” in 2007, resulting in a new design which has enhanced the library’s reputation as the academic living room of the campus. It features new computer workstations, tables and chairs that students can arrange to suit their needs, and attractive “living spaces” with comfortable reclining chairs and couches.
The library’s mission and values statement focuses on providing a user-friendly environment for faculty and students. A centrally located service desk (called “The Desk”} now handles circulation, reserve materials and reference questions for library users.
The 2007 renovation was true to the College’s commitment to sustainability. The new furniture was made by Artistry in Wood of East Syracuse, N.Y., a local company that follows green manufacturing practices.
The College library was originally located in Bray Hall. It was named the F. Franklin Moon Memorial Library when it moved into the newly completed Marshall Hall in 1933, and moved to its present location 35 years later.