Office of Energy and Sustainability
Carbon Neutrality, Renewable Energy, Green Building & Sustainable Practices
ESF's Principles of Sustainability
We begin with a commitment to meet present needs without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs. To do this we must...
- Understand basic functions of natural and social systems;
- Acknowledge and quantify the limitations of nature's capacity; and
- Develop solutions through the integration of social, economic, technical, and environmental systems.
- New Gateway Center: Innovation in green building design, energy systems and community learning
- American College & University Presidents' Climate Commitment (ACUPCC)
Silver Sustainability Rating
In 2011, ESF earned a silver rating through STARS (Sustainability Tracking, Assessment & Rating System).
ESF is unique among colleges and universities in that all of its educational and research programs are oriented toward natural resources, and toward the natural and designed environments. All that ESF is and does serves the mission of achieving a sustainable world.
The Office of Energy and Sustainability at ESF seeks to perpetuate that mission through national leadership and on-campus initiatives. Colleges nationwide have joined together in addressing the challenges of a changing climate, diminishing oil reserves, vanishing habitat, and declining regional economies. As a signer of the American College & University Presidents' Climate Commitment (ACUPCC), and member of the Association for the Advncement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE), ESF is a core participant in large-scale cooperative efforts. The sustainability office at ESF has facilitated on-campus efforts through projects such as solar panels, a wind turbine and a biomass combined heat and power plant in the new Gateway Building.
You—students, faculty, staff, alumni, partners and friends—are invited to join in the many sustainability initiatives of ESF's Office of Energy and Sustainability. Visit this web gateway often, or join the Office of Energy and Sustainability's Facebook page, for the latest in news, events, and opportunities, and for access to the rich web of sustainability resources offered by SUNY-ESF.
Executive Director of Sustainability
Chief of Staff, Office of the President
220 Bray Hall
441 Bray Hall
- Join the Green Campus Initiative.
Media & Resources
- Sustainable Systems on the ESF Campus
- Going Green Videos
- Native Plants for Sustainable Landscapespresentations by: Donald Leopold (PDF) and Timothy Toland (PDF)
- ESF Receives $963,000 for Gateway Energy System
- Zero Waste a Priority at Alumni Event
- ESF's Gateway Building (PDF)
- GCI featured in O2 Newsletter
- Production Program Raises Awareness
- ESF Erects Wind Turbine at Heiberg Forest
Auburn Citizen: Owasco Flats restoration project nearly ready for construction
ESF students performed a wildlife survey on the 2800 acre wetland as part of the restoration process. 4/27/16 READ MORE
CNYCentral: How PCBs made their way into the yards of 19 Salina homes
ESF professor John Hassett is quoted in a CNYCentral story on PCBs found to be contaminating area back yards. 4/28/16 READ MORE
ScienceDaily: Millions of native orchids flourish at former mining waste site
ScienceDaily reports on ESF grad student Grete Bader and her study of an abandoned mine that has reclaimed itself into a bidiversity-rich wetland. 4/27/16 READ MORE
Thesis Defense -- Daniel Rockefeller
Friday, May 13, 2016, 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm. 314 Bray Hall.