- Join the Green Campus Initiative.
Media & Resources
- Sustainable Systems on the ESF Campus
- Going Green Videos
- Native Plants for Sustainable Landscapespresentations by: Donald Leopold (PDF) and Timothy Toland (PDF)
- ESF Receives $963,000 for Gateway Energy System
- Zero Waste a Priority at Alumni Event
- ESF's Gateway Building (PDF)
- GCI featured in O2 Newsletter
- Production Program Raises Awareness
- ESF Erects Wind Turbine at Heiberg Forest
SUNY Blog: 2014 REDC Awards Set to Boost Economic Development Around SUNY Campuses
(ESF received $500,000 to incorporate green infrastructure into the planned Academic Research Building. 12/12/14) READ MORE
Wood Bioenergy: $3 Million DOE Grant Supports SUNY Bioenergy Developments
(Wood Bioenergy reported on the $3 million grant to ESF's bioenergy project. 12/14) READ MORE
Press Republican: Adirondack Great South Woods promoted
(The Press Republican covered the Great South Woods initiative being organized by the NYS DEC and ESF. 12/14/14) READ MORE
In the Media
- SUNY Blog: 2014 REDC Awards Set to Boost Economic Development Around SUNY Campuses:
(ESF received $500,000 to incorporate green infrastructure into the planned Academic Research Building. 12/12/14)
- Wood Bioenergy: $3 Million DOE Grant Supports SUNY Bioenergy Developments:
(Wood Bioenergy reported on the $3 million grant to ESF's bioenergy project. 12/14)
- Press Republican: Adirondack Great South Woods promoted :
(The Press Republican covered the Great South Woods initiative being organized by the NYS DEC and ESF. 12/14/14)
13th Annual New York State Green Building Conference
Thursday, March 12, 2015, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm. Holiday Inn Syracuse-Liverpool, NY. Event Website
Office of Energy and Sustainability
Carbon Neutrality, Renewable Energy, Green Building & Sustainable Practices
ESF's Principles of Sustainability
We begin with a commitment to meet present needs without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs. To do this we must...
- Understand basic functions of natural and social systems;
- Acknowledge and quantify the limitations of nature's capacity; and
- Develop solutions through the integration of social, economic, technical, and environmental systems.
Carbon Neutral by 2015
- New Gateway Center: Innovation in green building design, energy systems and community learning
- American College & University Presidents' Climate Commitment (ACUPCC)
- ECN2015: ESF Carbon Neutral by 2015
- ECN2015 Summary (PDF)
- Climate Action Plan (PDF, 2009)
Silver Sustainability Rating
In 2011, ESF earned a silver rating through STARS (Sustainability Tracking, Assessment & Rating System).
ESF is unique among colleges and universities in that all of its educational and research programs are oriented toward natural resources, and toward the natural and designed environments. All that ESF is and does serves the mission of achieving a sustainable world.
The Office of Energy and Sustainability at ESF seeks to perpetuate that mission through national leadership and on-campus initiatives. Colleges nationwide have joined together in addressing the challenges of a changing climate, diminishing oil reserves, vanishing habitat, and declining regional economies. As a signer of the American College & University Presidents' Climate Commitment (ACUPCC), and member of the Association for the Advncement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE), ESF is a core participant in large-scale cooperative efforts. The sustainability office at ESF has facilitated on-campus efforts through projects such as solar panels, a wind turbine and a biomass combined heat and power plant in the new Gateway Building.
You—students, faculty, staff, alumni, partners and friends—are invited to join in the many sustainability initiatives of ESF's Office of Energy and Sustainability. Visit this web gateway often, or join the Office of Energy and Sustainability's Facebook page, for the latest in news, events, and opportunities, and for access to the rich web of sustainability resources offered by SUNY-ESF.
Michael J. Kelleher
Executive Director of Energy & Sustainability
220 Bray Hall
441 Bray Hall