The purpose of the Citibank Visa State Procurement Card is to establish a more efficient, cost effective method of purchasing and payment for small dollar purchases. The Procurement Card enables cardholders to make authorized purchases directly from a supplier without processing the traditional paperwork. Cardholders can make purchases of up to $2,500 per transaction with the Procurement Card.
Use of the card is strictly limited to the purchase of commodities for official state use. Cardholders will be responsible for reimbursing the State of New York for any charges incurred as a result of misuse or fraudulent use of the card.
- ESF State Procurement Card Guidelines (PDF)
- SUNY WEB PCARD Training (PPTX)
- State Funded Purchasing webpage
Forms, Links and References
- NYS Procurement Card Program Account Maintenance Request (PDF)
- State Procurement Card Guidelines - Citibank Visa (PDF)
- State Procurement Card Application for Citibank Visa and State Accounts (PDF)
- State Procurement Card Information and Resources (DOCX)
- Monthly Transaction Summary (XLSX)
- SUNY Financials Procurement Card Training (PPTX)
- State Tax Exempt Letter (PDF)
- State of New York Tax Exempt Certificate (PDF)
- ESF Below Threshold Equipment ($500 - $4,999) (PDF)
- ESF Expenditure Guidelines (Coming Soon)
- New York State Restricted MCC Codes (PDF)
State Procurement Card Links
Why Use the Visa Procurement Card?
- The PCard simplifies the Purchasing process - faster ordering, direct contact with suppliers, faster delivery of product.
- Can use the PCard up to $2500.
- Flexibility and control to meet deadlines. Reduce the inventory requirements.
- Great for Internet purchases where no purchase order is accepted.
- The PCard use applies to State and IFR funds.
- The State of New York encourages the use of the Procurement Card as a vehicle to reduce transaction costs.
- ESF earns rebates based on usage.
- The PCard is assigned to a specific state account(s).
- Can be used for a wide range of program related expenses under $2500.
- Assigned to an individual-not a Department.
- No travel or food related purchases.
- Cannot purchase restricted items (MCC listing)
- Must reconcile every month and keep proper paperwork.
- College liability, not individual liability.
Great to Use For
- Orders under $2500.
- Registration fees for conferences.
- Seminars, memberships, subscriptions in the name of the college
- Supplies where there is a state contract
- Online orders.
The following items are examples of Authorized Purchases up to $2500. This list is not all inclusive.
- Items on centralized commodity (P) contracts. P contracts are centralized New York State contracts awarded by the Office of General Services.
- Maintenance/repairs of equipment.
- Supplies and materials.
- General equipment Film processing.
- Registration fees for conferences and seminars.
- Shipping charges (UPS, Federal Express, DHL, etc.).
Note: If making your purchase in person - obtain an itemized receipt in addition to the credit card receipt and check the credit card receipt to ensure accuracy and no sales tax is charged before signing.
The following are restricted items that you CANNOT use with the State PCARD. This list is not all inclusive.
- Personal use.
- Meals, refreshments, alcoholic beverages, coffee service, restaurants, food for departmental parties, etc.
- Orders exceeding the $2500 limit.
- Items purchased separately that, when purchased together, would exceed the $2500 limit (e.g., split ordering).
- Medical services.
- Cash advances.
- Cash back on purchases.
- Cash refunds on returns.
- Controlled substances (e.g., narcotics, prescription drugs).
- Live animals.
- Radioactive materials.
- Specialty gases/cylinder rentals.
- When a written agreement needs to be signed by a representative of the College (e.g., software license).
- Contracted services from an individual.
- Leases, insurance.
- Travel (e.g.airline, car rental, lodging, restaurant, etc.).
- Entertainment (e.g., movies, theater, concerts, etc.).
- Unapproved trademark items.
- Rents, leases.
- Non-employee compensation (payments for any personal services).
- Gift certificates.
- Gifts and flowers.
- Savings bonds.
- Gift cards.
- Holiday decorations, cards and party supplies.
Any other expenditure not allowed per ESF procurement rules. Check with Procurement Services (315) 470-4795 prior to making a purchase for clarification.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How does the State Procurement Card make my job easier?
- It allows the cardholder to place orders directly with a vendor. It is faster and you receive the items in a timely manner.
- How does the process work?
- The cardholder contacts the supplier directly to make the purchase with the PCard. Citibank arranges payment to the supplier, and Citibank provides the cardholder one monthly statement with all the charges. At the end of the month, the cardholder must reconcile purchases against the Citibank bank statement and SUNY Web and obtain Supervisor approval and signatures.
- How will I keep track of my purchases?
- The cardholder will record each purchase on a monthly transaction summary log form or other demonstrated method of tracking and keep it on file in the department along with all receipts and invoices. The cardholder will balance these purchases against the monthly statement from Citibank.
- Can I use the PCard for travel, restaurant, or entertainment related activity?
- NO. There are blocks placed on these types of transactions.
- What kinds of purchases can I make with the PCard?
- Business related expenses for items up to $2500 including: registrations for conferences and seminars, subscriptions, memberships, supplies, books, equipment, shipping charges, stamps, printing, etc.
- Are there other limits available besides the $2500 single transaction limit?
- Yes, lower or higher single transaction limits can be assigned with supervisor approval.
- Do I pay tax?
- No. Taxes should not be paid. Make sure to notify the supplier that it will be a tax exempt purchase at point of sale.
- Can I order by phone or online?
- Yes, phone, fax, online, or in person are all acceptable ordering methods. In all cases keep any receipts or packing slips with your order form.
- Will I be audited?
- Yes, keep copies of all receipts and order forms for 6 years plus the current year. Do not purchase restricted items. When in doubt, check it out with Procurement Services at 4795. Audits can be conducted both internally and by SUNY Administration and the Office of the State Comptroller.
- Is the card in my name or the Department's name?
- The card is in your name.
- Who has the liability?
- New York State is liable for all business related purchases. If one were to use the card in an inappropriate manner, that person would be liable.
Procurement Cards Contact
ESF Procurement Card Administrator:
ESF Procurement Services
Citibank Customer Support
Cardholder general inquiries 1-800-248-4553 option 4
Help desk support — for website access problems to https://home.cards.citidirect.com 1-800-790-7206, option 2 (7:00 am – 8:00 pm Mon-Fri EST)
Fax cardholder dispute form within 60 calendar days to 1-605-357-2019
To Report and Cancel Lost or Stolen Cards:
Call Citibannk at 1-900-248-4553, option 4
This number is available 24 hours per day, 7 days a week.
Immediately following this verbal notification, the cardholder must also report the lost or stolen card to ESF Procurement Card Administration at 315-470-6640