2013-2014 Award Winners
- Jacob M. Shave - Outstanding Freshman
- John R. Swartzfager - Outstanding Sophomore
- Eric T. Stevens - Outstanding Junior
- Joshua R. Harris - Outstanding Senior
- Eoghan L. Connors- Meyer Award for Environmental Chemistry
- Zachary H. Spangler- Outstanding Undergraduate TA
- Eric T. Stevens - Chemistry Citizenship Award, Meyer Award
- Jessica Ciesla - ACS Affiliate Award
- Dolly L. Hall - Sondheimer Award
- Joanna D. Kinsey - John Meyer Graduate Award
- Alex Levine - Michael Szwarc Graduate Award
- Gram Townsend - Outstanding TA Award, Outstanding 1st year Ph.D. Award
- Rick Joseph- Outstanding TA Award
- John Kelly - Outstanding TA Award
- Samantha Weber - Outstanding TA Award
The Department of Chemistry has a long history of providing many need and merit-based scholarships each year. Over $10,000 in scholarships are made possible by very generous contributions made to both SUNY ESF and the Department of Chemistry.
There are several awards currently available to graduate and undergraduate students:
- Chemistry Emeriti fellowship - Established by Dr. Edwin C. Jahn to aid graduate and undergraduate students of the Department of Chemistry at ESF. It was Dr. Jahn's intention to honor the work of 5 distinguished emeriti faculty members by selecting student recipients whose research interests matched those of the emeriti. The emeriti to be honored through this fund are: Dr. Conrad Schuerch (natural polymers and carbohydrates); Dr. Robert Silverstein (chemical ecology); Dr. Ernest Sondheimer (biochemistry); Dr. Michael Szwarc (polymer chemistry); Dr. Tore Timell (wood, tree and forest chemistry).
- Edwin C. Jahn fund - Established to award funds, at the discretion of the President, to the needs of the Department of Chemistry, the Department of Paper & Bioprocess Engineering, and the F. Franklin Moon Library.
- John A. Meyer Environmental Chemistry Undergraduate award - Established in 1980, this award was made possible by gifts from Marion Meyer and Professor John A. Meyer '58, a recognized authority in nuclear chemistry whose research interests at the College focused upon wood polymers and the chemical modification of wood, radiation chemistry and neutron activation analysis.
- John A. Meyer Graduate fellowship - Created in 1983 by Dr. Meyer '58 and his wife, Marion Waterman Meyer. It provides one year, renewable awards to advanced degree candidates in polymer and environmental chemistry, wood science, or environmental biology.
- Conrad Scheurch Chemistry Graduate scholarship- Established to aid deserving forest chemistry students with financial need in honor of Dr. Schuerch, a well respected member of the Faculty of Chemistry.
- Ernest Sondheimer fund - Established in 1974 to honor the memory and work of Professor Ernest Sondheimer, who was a distinguished faculty member in the College's Chemistry Department from 1957 to 1973.
- Michael M. Szwarc Memorial scholarship- Established in memory of world-reknowned chemist Michael Szwarc by his children to assist graduate students studying in the field of physical chemistry.
Faculty of Chemistry awards
This series encompasses several merit based awards given by the Faculty of Chemistry.
- Outstanding student awards - Given to the most outstanding undergraduates in each academic class, freshman through senior.
- Best Workshop Leader award - Given to the top performing General Chemistry workshop leader.
- Outstanding Undergraduate TA award - Presented to the best undergraduate teaching assistant during the academic year.
- Outstanding Graduate TA award - Presented to the top-performing graduate student teaching assistants during the academic year.
- Outstanding First Year Ph.D. award - Given to a top performing first-year graduate student in the Ph.D. program.
- Departmental Citizen award - Presented to an undergraduate who exemplifies service, academics, and scholarship in the Department of Chemistry.