Welcome to the NEKDA
- 2014 NEKDA Spring Meeting
- Brattleboro, Vermont
- Quality Inn
- April 2 & 3 Wednesday and Thursday
- Plant Tours
- Cersosimo Lumber
- Lashway Lumber
- Great Technical Program!!
- keep an eye out in your mail, email and this website.
- 2013 NEKDA and KKDA joint Fall Meeting
- This Fall our New England Kiln Drying Association is meeting jointly with the Keystone Kiln Drying Association. We anticipate a great turnout, and plenty of opportunity to learn and discuss drying questions and issues with technical experts, equipment vendors and industry peers.
Our program includes a couple of interesting plant tours,
excellent technical presentations, vendor displays, stress relief, and
the Kiln Operator's Clinic.
The meeting is being held Wednesday and Thursday November 13 & 14 in Elmira, NY at the Holiday Inn; $115 s/d, $125 king - please call 607-734-4211 promptly, before 10/19. Be sure to let them know you are with the NEKDA / KKDA kiln drying group.
- 2013 Fall Meeting Registration (pdf)
- 2013 Fall Meeting Program (pdf)
- email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 315/470-6832 for information about vendor displays of other questions.
- Wednesday November 13
- - Very interesting plant tours of
- Kiln Operator's Clinic
- Technical Presentation
- Vendor Displays
- U*C Coatings
- Industrial Vision Systems
- Stress Relief
- Thursday November 14
- Technical Presentations
- Business Meeting
2013 NEKDA Membership Directory (pdf)
- Useful Wood Books and Literature (web link)
- We had a great NEKDA 2012 Fall Meeting on November 13-14 in Waterville, ME! In addition to great plant tours of Kennebec Lumber and Hancock Lumber, we had good discussion between kiln operators at our Dry Kiln Operator's Clinic, successful stress relief, six very interesting technical presentations, and presented several student scholarship awards. Below you can find pdf copies of several of the presentations.
- Best Western Plus Hotel 375 Main Street Waterville, ME 04901 207/873-0111 (former Holiday Inn). Contact the hotel directly for reservations (be sure to tell them you are with the NEKDA); our rate is $83/night, including breakfast.
- 2012 Fall Meeting Program (pdf)
- 2012 Fall Meeting Registration (pdf)
- 2012 Fall Meeting Tours
- Technical Program Topics
- Boiler energy and ash: How to be smart, sound smart and get a raise by looking at the ash pile; Bob Rice, Univ. of Maine
- Implementing Drying Improvements; Chuck Sackett, King Forest Industries
- Understanding Dehumidification Concepts, Equipment, Methods and Procedures to Dry Lumber; Don Lewis, NYLE
- Use of Temperature, Relative Humidity and EMC when Managing Lumber Drying Operations; Brian Hughes, Wagner Lumber
- Water Quality and Boiler Performance; Tom Hageman, Clarity Water
- Air Drying – Free Energy but not Free Drying; Peter Garrahan, Wood Drying Consultant
- and of course our Dry Kiln Operator's Clinic
- plus our Tuesday evening dinner, vendor displays, student scholarship awards, stress relief program, and great
camaraderie make for an all around worthwhile event.
Wayne Cate, 2012 President
H.G.Wood Industries, Bath, NH
William B. Smith, Executive Secretary
SUNY College of Environmental Science & Forestry
- As the economy improves, are you ready to supply the market with the best quality kiln dried lumber?
- Do you want to better control your drying quality and cost?
- Can you improve and manage better your drying and lumber handling operations?
Learn about these topics and more at our 2012 Kiln Drying Workshop! www.esf.edu/outreach/kiln
This course will provide practical knowledge about how wood is effectively kiln dried, and scientific background on related wood properties and drying processes. The instruction and topics will be of interest and great value for novice and experienced kiln operators, as well as yard, sales, purchasing, marketing and manufacturing managers. Instruction, by university professors and various industry experts, will be in the classroom and through hands-on lab exercises using our modern kiln.
Register Online Now! http://www.esf.edu/outreach/kiln/2012/registration.htm
For more information please contact:
Ann Guzman at (315) 470-4940 / email@example.com
Bill Smith at (315) 470-6832 / firstname.lastname@example.org
2011 Fall Meeting - November 2 & 3 at the Holiday Inn, in Rutland, VT
- Dry Kiln Operator’s Clinic
Accuracy and Calibration of Kiln Controllers, Bob Pope, USNR
Manufacture of Wood Pellets, Chris Brooks, Vermont Wood Pellet
Increasing Kiln Productivity, Joe Denig, NC State Univ.
- Dry Kiln Safety, Peter Sformo, WJ Cox Associates
Characteristics, Product Details and Use of Shade-Dri Cloth, Peter Duerden, U*C Coatings
- Enhancing the Air Drying Process, Brian Hughes, Wagner Lumber
2011 Spring Program
- Drying Oak and Thick Hardwood Lumber, Bill Smith, SUNY ESF, Syracuse, NY
Applying Lean Manufacturing Techniques to Kiln Drying, Chuck Ray, Penn State, State College, PA
Safety Issues with Kiln Drying and Lumber Handling, Peter Sformo, W.J. Cox Assoc., Clarence, NY
Wood Decay, Fungi, Stain and Mold, Sue Anagnost, SUNY ESF, Syracuse, NY
The Chestnut Blight and It’s Restoration Program, Chuck Maynard, SUNY ESF, Syracuse, NY
Procedures and Techniques for Drying Mixed Loads, Bob Pope, USNR, Montpelier, VT
- Banquet; Industrial Awards Program
- NEDKA Bowling Tournament
Meeting Program - Spring 11 Meeting Program (click for PDF)
Meeting Registration - Spring 11 - Meeting Registration (click for PDF)
2011 Membership Dues Notice (click for PDF)
NEKDA Newsletter - January 2011 (click for PDF)
2011 Award Applications (click for pdf, due by March 7)
2010 Fall Technical Program presentations - (click to view pdf)
- NEKDA Membership Directory - Our 2010 NEKDA Membership Directory is now available.
- Spring 2010 Meeting - We had a great spring meeting in Keene, NH. Cersosimo Lumber hosted a very interesting tour of their pine and hardwood mills and drying operations in Brattleboro. And we had excellent presentations during our technical sessions as well as a full session of questions, answers and discussion during our Kiln Operator's Clinic.
- Spring 2010 Meeting Technical Presentations - Click here to view technical presentations from our spring meeting.
- Fall 2009 Meeting - We had a successful fall meeting in Andover, MA. Holt & Bugbee hosted an interesting and informative tour of their drying and manufacturing operations in Tewksbury. And we had a number of excellent technical presentations, along with our stimulating Kiln Operator's Clinic questions and discussion.
- Fall Meeting Technical Presentations - Click here to view the technical presentations from our fall meeting.
- Spring Meeting - We had a successful spring meeting in beautiful Lake Placid, NY. Ward Lumber hosted an interesting and informative tour of their white pine mill and drying operations. And we had a number of excellent technical presentations, along with our stimulating Kiln Operator's Clinic questions and discussion.
- Spring Meeting Technical Presentations - Click here to view the technical presentations from our spring meeting.
- Useful books and articles on Lumber Drying, Wood Properties and Manufacturing, and Wood Science.
- Dry Kiln Workshop.
- Our 2010 Jim Catterick Award was presented to Everett Rockwell, North Hudson Woodcraft, Dolgeville NY.
- Our 2010 Bill Rice Acheivement Award was presented to Mark Strail, Harden Furniture, McConnellesville, NY, by NEKDA Life Member, former President, former Executive Secretary, and Professor Emeritus Dr. Bill Rice (below).
- Our 2009 Jim Catterick Award
was presented to Tom Graber, Baillie Lumber, Smyrna, NY, by NEKDA 2009 President Jeremy Jacquet (below).
- Our 2009 Bill Rice Acheivement Award was presented to Scott Ferland, Cersosimo Lumber, Brattleboro, VT, by NEKDA Life Member, former President, former Executive Secretary, and Professor Emeritus Dr. Bill Rice (below).
April 7-8, 2009, Lake Placid, NY
Email email@example.com or call 315/470-6832 with questions or for registration information.
Our NEKDA Spring Meeting will be April 7 and 8, 2009, at the Crowne Plaza Resort in beautiful Lake Placid, New York www.lakeplacidcp.com . We will tour Ward Lumber in Jay, NY, and have an excellent technical program for our meeting. Please get out your pen and mark your calenders, call the Crown Plaza at
518/523-2556 or 800/874-1980
to make reservations and mail in your meeting registration. We look forward to seeing you in Lake Placid!
Check out the Spring Meeting page for more information.
Dues for 2009 are payable with the enclosed notice at the rate of $60 for Supporting Member Firm Membership or $20 for an Individual Membership. Your membership and contributions are most appreciated and enable the NEKDA to maintain its activities, mission and service to the wood drying and processing industry. Your prompt mailing of the updated membership forms and payment will insure correct listing in the 2008 Membership Directory. Please note the information about your products and services being requested to make our Directory more useful to customers and suppliers. Also, to facilitate electronic communication, please provide email addresses.