Peer Tutoring at SUNY-ESF
Academic Support Services Office
Academic Success Center | 109 Moon Library | (315) 470-4919 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Tutoring is one of the many academic support programs available at ESF. Through the program, the service of a qualified undergraduate or graduate tutor may be available to any ESF undergraduate student who feels a need for academic support in meeting the demands of ESF courses in which he/she is currently enrolled. Our focus is mainly on lower division, undergraduate courses. Requests for tutoring in specialized courses will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis.
The program has two different types of assistance:
- Individual/small-group tutoringIn individual/small-group tutoring, up to five students meet with a tutor for a two-hour block of time each week to go over course material. These sessions can help students gain self-confidence and become independent learners, as well as grasp specific subject matter.
- Large-group tutoringLarge-group tutoring is offered in Biology (fall/spring), General Chemistry (fall/spring), Calculus (fall/spring), and Organic Chemistry. In large group tutoring, a tutor is available on a weekday night for two hours and students may drop in to get assistance. These sessions allow participants to receive immediate help with an assignment, clarification of lecture materials, or to ask a quick question.
If you are interested in receiving ESL assistance in Academic Writing, please contact Professor Maria Hosmer-Briggs at email@example.com.
Tutoring Training Workshops CalendarNo events are available.
Tutor Training - All tutors are required to participate in a Tutor Training session to review necessary paperwork before becoming a tutor. Additionally, during the academic year, Academic Support Services provides a variety of Tutor Training Workshops to assist in your development as a tutor. Workshop topics include: Introduction to Tutoring, Leadership & Tutoring, and Building Trust. A complete list of dates & times for these workshops are available at the Academic Success Center.
Tutor of the Semester Award - Each semester, the Office of Academic Support Services recognizes tutors who are nominated by their fellow Peer Tutors and tutees for their outstanding service and dedication to the position. Recent award winners are listed below:
- Spring 2013 Award winners: Maureen Bishop, Autumn Elniski, and Amber Unruh
- Fall 2012 Award winners: Alexandra Williams, Derry Albert, Drew Gamils, Nathan Sleight and Phil Patton
- Spring 2012 Award winners: Robert Miller, Jason Kucharski, Alexandra Williams, and Justin Beckman
- Fall 2011 Award winners: Tinna Chan, Emilie Rigbie and Harold Nugent.
- Spring 2011 Award winners: Shannon Carpenter, Matt Cripps, James Johnson and Rachele Brown.
- Fall 2010 Award winners: Shannon Carpenter, Robbie McDonald, Mackenzie Waro, Matt Cripps, Martin Holdrege and Amy Chianucci.
- Spring 2010 Award winners: Shannon Carpenter, Rachael Weiter, Katherine McKissick, and David Scott.
- Fall 2009 Award winners: Eugene Law, James Johnson, Jennifer Ma, Chelsae Radell, Shannon Carpenter, Robbie McDonald.
For more information about ESF's Tutoring Services, please stop by the Academic Support Services Office in 109A Moon.