Peer Tutoring at SUNY-ESF
Tutoring Training Workshops CalendarNo events are available.
Tutoring is one of the many academic support programs available at ESF. Through the program, the service of a qualified undergraduate or graduate tutor may be available to any ESF undergraduate student who feels a need for academic support in meeting the demands of ESF courses in which they are currently enrolled.
Our focus is mainly on lower division, undergraduate courses. Requests for tutoring in specialized courses will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis.
Two Types of Assistance
- Individual/small-group tutoringIn individual/small-group tutoring, up to five students meet with a tutor for a one-hour block of time each week to go over course material. These sessions can help students gain self-confidence and become independent learners, as well as grasp specific subject matter. SIGN UP FOR A TUTOR HERE
- Large-group tutoringLarge-group tutoring is offered in Biology (fall/spring), General Chemistry (fall/spring), Calculus (fall/spring), and Organic Chemistry. In large group tutoring, a tutor is available on a weekday night for two hours and students may drop in to get assistance. These sessions allow participants to receive immediate help with an assignment, clarification of lecture materials, or to ask a quick question.SIGN UP FOR A TUTOR HERE
Placement in a group depends on availability of tutors, student scheduling, and number of course requests. If you have questions or concerns about your tutoring group or placement do not hesitate to contact us.
If you are interested in receiving ESL assistance in Academic Writing, please contact Interim Writing Program Director, Dr. Christina Limpert, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Want to Become a Tutor?
All tutors are required to participate in a Tutor Training session to review necessary paperwork before becoming a tutor. Additionally, during the academic year, the Center provides a variety of Tutor Training Workshops to assist in your development as a tutor. A complete list of dates & times for these workshops are available at the Academic Success Center.
(Prospective tutors must have received a B or better in desired courses)
Tutor Training Dates Spring 2017
- Friday, January 20th, 2017 at 1:00pm-2:00pm in 110 Moon Library
- Monday, January 23rd,2017 at 11:00am-12:00pm in 110 Moon Library
- Tuesday, January 24th, 2017 at 11:00am-12:00pm in 110 Moon Library (FCH 152 & EFB 103 tutors)
- Wednesday, January 25th, 2017 at 4:00pm-5:00pm in 110 Moon Library
Tutor of the Semester Award
Each semester, the Academic Success Center recognizes tutors who are nominated by their fellow Peer Tutors and tutees for their outstanding service and dedication to the position.
Recent Award Winners
- Spring 2017: Chris Richardson, Elizabeth-Ann Jamison
- Fall 2016: Robert Coady, Janelle Tallents, Michael Mahoney
- Spring 2015: Brian Walsh, Kate McGowan, and Matthew Serrao
- Fall 2014: Alison Houseman, Ben Butryn, Daryl Harper and Phil Wood
- Spring 2014: Josh Harris, Phil Wood and Alison Houseman
- Spring 2013: Maureen Bishop, Autumn Elniski, and Amber Unruh
- Fall 2012: Alexandra Williams, Derry Albert, Drew Gamils, Nathan Sleight and Phil Patton
- Spring 2012: Robert Miller, Jason Kucharski, Alexandra Williams, and Justin Beckman
- Fall 2011: Tinna Chan, Emilie Rigbie and Harold Nugent.
- Spring 2011: Shannon Carpenter, Matt Cripps, James Johnson and Rachele Brown.
- Fall 2010: Shannon Carpenter, Robbie McDonald, Mackenzie Waro, Matt Cripps, Martin Holdrege and Amy Chianucci.
- Spring 2010: Shannon Carpenter, Rachael Weiter, Katherine McKissick, and David Scott.
- Fall 2009: Eugene Law, James Johnson, Jennifer Ma, Chelsae Radell, Shannon Carpenter, Robbie McDonald.
Tutoring Service Highlights
Last year, 2016-2017, we made over 5,352 hours of student contact through tutoring alone.
686 student requests were met
We had over 163 small group tutoring groups
We offered tutoring in over 84 courses
The average tutor GPA was a 3.55
We also held over 36 workshops and served over 335 students
For more information about ESF's Tutoring Services, please stop by the Academic Success Center office in 110 Bray.