Admission to the Ranger School
Are you interested in an outdoor career focused on the natural environment? You will find a great fit at SUNY ESF's Ranger School. Choose between three Associate's degree programs in forest production, natural resources conservation, or land surveying technology. Our classroom is the 2,800 acre Dubuar Forest in the Adirondack Mountains, where you will excel in hands-on, outdoor field skills in rain, snow or shine. If the outdoors beckons you, come gain the skills and confidence to build your career, starting here. Come study the natural world at the Ranger School, outside, in the best classroom of all!
The associate degrees offered at The Ranger School campus of SUNY ESF are “1 + 1” programs enrolling students for the second year of study after they complete their first-year requirements at SUNY ESF's Syracuse campus or the college of their choice. The Ranger School website provides more information on the A.A.S. degree programs in Forest Technology (SAF accredited), Environmental and Natural Resources Conservation, and Land Surveying Technology (ABET accredited), including first year requirements to be completed at the first college attended.
Many Ranger School students decide to continue their education by transferring to one of the bachelor degree programs offered at the SUNY ESF Syracuse campus, usually Forest Resources Management (Forestry) or Natural Resources Management. By following a “1 + 1 + 2” plan with appropriate course selection and scheduling students can usually complete both the associate and bachelor degrees within four years.
Candidates may apply to The Ranger School as high school seniors, transfer students from other institutions or internally from SUNY ESF Bachelor degree programs. The application process you follow depends on which type of student you are, as outlined below. When you decide on your application pathway, just click on the link for the steps to follow.
- High school students may apply to SUNY ESF's Syracuse campus for First-Year Admission to complete the first-year requirements for both the associate degree as well as a bachelor degree if they wish to follow the “1 + 1 + 2” plan. They can apply through either the Early Decision or Regular First-Year application process.
- High School students can follow the “1 + 1” plan to prepare to enter The Ranger School after attending another college to complete the first-year requirements. Under this plan, students apply for first-year admission at a SUNY college or the college of their choice and apply for sophomore entry at The Ranger School under the Guaranteed Transfer option.
- College students can apply for Transfer Admission as they complete the first-year requirements. Transfer students are encouraged to enroll at one of our Cooperative Colleges.
- Current SUNY ESF students may apply for internal transfer to the associate degree programs offered at The Ranger School campus or from the Ranger School to the bachelor degree programs at the Syracuse campus.
- Internal Transfer Form Ranger School to ESF Main Campus (Syracuse) (PDF)
- Internal Transfer Form ESF Main Campus (Syracuse) to Ranger School Campus (PDF)
Application Filing Dates
- All applicants Recommended Filing Date: November 15, 2022*
- Early Action First-Year Deadline: November 15, 2022
- Regular First-Year Recommended Filing Date: January 15, 2023*
- Guaranteed Transfer Recommended
Filing Date: January 15, 2023*
- Transfer Recommended Filing Date: February 15, 2023*
*Applications will still be accepted after this date and will be considered for admission on a space available basis.
Spring and Fall 2023 Applicants
As of August 1, 2022 both The Common Application and ApplySUNY application are open for 2023 entry terms.
TOEFL DI: 2530
NYS TAP: 0950