ESF Professor Named Fulbright Scholar
Dr. Theodore A. Endreny
SYRACUSE, N.Y. Dr. Theodore A. Endreny, associate professor at the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF), has been awarded a Fulbright Scholar grant to lecture and conduct research at the University of Cyprus in Nicosia, Cyprus, during the 2006 spring semester.
Endreny, a water resources engineer, will investigate the water balance of the area. Seasonal water scarcity combined with border disputes have complicated water resources management in the past 30 years. Water resources engineering theory for stormwater management can greatly benefit Cyprus water conservation and agricultural and urban efforts to stabilize and restore channel geomorphology and associated ecology by recharging aquifers and reducing evaporation, Endreny said of Syracuse.
By studying the links between water resource changes and likely on-going channel destabilization, Endreny hopes opportunities to correct degradation will not be missed.
“The Fulbright Scholarship program is very prestigious award,” said Dr. Bruce Bongarten, provost and vice president for academic affairs at ESF. “It provides an excellent opportunity for faculty to travel to another country and immerse themselves in an issue in their expertise. Ted will be able to bring back to ESF what he has learned and share it with the rest of us. It’s the next best thing to being there.”
Established in 1946 under legislation introduced by the late Senator J. William Fulbright, the program’s purpose is to build mutual understanding between the people of the United States and other countries. Recipients of Fulbright Scholar awards are selected on the basis of academic or professional achievement and because they have demonstrated extraordinary leadership potential in their fields.
Recent ESF News
- Community Stewards to Receive ESF’s Feinstone Award
- ESF Scientist Helps Locate Wolf That Died on Isle Royale
- Cuomo Announces Initiative to Reimagine Erie Canal as Catalyst for Economic Development, Resiliency
- ESF Employees Honored with SUNY Chancellor's Awards
- Dr. Jacqueline Frair Presented with Exemplary Research Award
- ESF Student Designed Bridge Judged Most Innovative
- ESF College Foundation Honors Daley with Teaching Award
- 2019 Commencement: 'You Are My Family,' Student Speaker Says
- Students Recognize Contributions of Staff, Faculty
- ESF Announces Graduation Weekend Schedule
- ESF to Honor Dr. Bernard Amadei with Honorary Degree
- ESF Student Completes First Year of Leadership Training in Bioeconomy
- Patrick Jackson Honored as Green Building Advocate of the Year
- State Energy Official to Speak on ‘Green New Deal’
- ESF-SU Team Scores Win in DOE Solar Decathlon
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210