Festival of Places Highlights ESF Off Campus Program
The Faculty of Landscape Architecture
SYRACUSE, N.Y. The Faculty of Landscape Architecture at the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) will celebrate the achievements of students who participated in the Off-Campus Experiential Studio during the Festival of Places on Feb. 24.
The Festival of Places is the culmination of a two-semester program in which fifth-year seniors (landscape architecture is a 5-year degree program) design an off-campus research topic and plan their itinerary. During the fall of their 5th year, the students travel to their off-campus destination where they study a topic of individual interest. This entails direct experience with different environments and cultures. Since its inception in 1970, more than 1,457 students have participated in the program living in more than 185 locations including more than 39 different countries.
The festival provides students with an opportunity to share their experiences as well as the reports completed during their off-campus semester with faculty, college administrators, alumni and guests. One of the most anticipated events of the year, the festival includes the construction of an international “town” that is a collection of artifacts, photographs and illustrations from each group's study site. The 30th Annual Festival of Places will take place in Marshall Hall's Alumni Lounge from 8 p.m. to midnight on Feb. 24.
A highlight of the festival is the annual George F. Earle Lecture. This year's lecture will be “What I Learned on my Italian Vacation; Lessons for Success in the 21st Century,” by Karst Hoogeboom, '78. Karst is deputy commissioner for planning and engineering at Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation. The lecture will be held in the Marshall Hall auditorium from 7 to 8 p.m. The Festival of Places follows immediately at 8 p.m. in the Marshall Hall lounge.
This year, students spent the fall semester in Sydney, Australia; Brasilia, Brazil; Czech Republic, Prague; Kyoto, Japan; Amsterdam, Netherlands; Barcelona, Spain; Geneva, Switzerland; Bristol, United Kingdom.
The Festival of Places is partially sponsored by the Mollet Club, the Student Chapter of ASLA and the ESF Alumni Association, Inc.
Release No. 50 February 22, 2006
Recent ESF News
- Mighty Oaks Soccer Teams End Season at USCAA Championships
- Women's Cross Country Team Wins National Championship
- ESF Team Reports Discovery of Unusual Molecule
- ESF Alumna Leads Cannabis Team for Law Firm
- 38 ESF Students to Attend Zero Waste Conference
- ESF Represented at Forestry and Wood Products Summit
- Mighty Oaks Sweep HVIAC Tournament
- ESF Kicks Off International Education Week
- ESF Continues to Lead in World of Green Colleges
- ESF’s Barron Wins 2018 USCAA Golf National Championship
- ESF Celebrates Debut of Digital Storytelling Studio
- Volk to Present Travis Lecture on Shrub Willow
- The ESF Center for Community Design Research Receives Federal Research Grant
- National Geographic Live and ESF Host National Geographic Explorer/Photographer Anand Varma
- Waste not, want not
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210