2006 Joachim Forum at SUNY-ESF Examines Issues in Forest Products Industry
October 25 & 26, 2006
SYRACUSE The 13th annual Joachim Center for Forest Industry, Economy and Environment Forum will be held Oct. 25 and 26, 2006, at the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry (SUNY-ESF), Syracuse campus.
The 2006 Joachim Forum deals with emerging energy and carbon- reducing technologies and sustainable products in the forest products industry. According to Joachim Center Director William Tully, the forum will explore important scientific, engineering, management and societal considerations regarding these critical economic and environmental matters.
"The possibilities of such sustainable scientific and engineering developments are being explored at SUNY-ESF and in a number of forest products companies where innovative management and leadership can create a preferred future for the industry in society," Tully said.
On the first day of the Joachim Forum, a seminar will feature four distinguished experts who explore emerging innovations in the pulp and paper industry. Speakers include Shijie Liu, associate professor at SUNY-ESF; William J. Burke, technology manager of Johnson Controls; Peter Ince, senior research scientist at U.S. Forest Products Laboratory; and G. Ronald Brown, research director at Mead Westvaco Corp.
On the second day, a panel of experts drawn from corporate member leaders of the Syracuse Pulp and Paper Foundation, the Empire State Paper Research Associates and the ESF faculty will examine opportunities and educational needs for the forest products industry in a carbon constrained world.
Scholars and management professionals have been invited to attend. The forum is being held in conjunction with the annual meeting of the Syracuse Pulp and Paper Foundation and the fall meeting of the Empire State Paper Research Associates.
Dr. William P. Tully Director
Recent ESF News
- Mighty Oaks Soccer Teams End Season at USCAA Championships
- Women's Cross Country Team Wins National Championship
- ESF Team Reports Discovery of Unusual Molecule
- ESF Alumna Leads Cannabis Team for Law Firm
- 38 ESF Students to Attend Zero Waste Conference
- ESF Represented at Forestry and Wood Products Summit
- Mighty Oaks Sweep HVIAC Tournament
- ESF Kicks Off International Education Week
- ESF Continues to Lead in World of Green Colleges
- ESF’s Barron Wins 2018 USCAA Golf National Championship
- ESF Celebrates Debut of Digital Storytelling Studio
- Volk to Present Travis Lecture on Shrub Willow
- The ESF Center for Community Design Research Receives Federal Research Grant
- National Geographic Live and ESF Host National Geographic Explorer/Photographer Anand Varma
- Waste not, want not
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210