2006 Joachim Forum at SUNY-ESF Examines Issues in Forest Products Industry
October 25 & 26, 2006
SYRACUSE The 13th annual Joachim Center for Forest Industry, Economy and Environment Forum will be held Oct. 25 and 26, 2006, at the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry (SUNY-ESF), Syracuse campus.
The 2006 Joachim Forum deals with emerging energy and carbon- reducing technologies and sustainable products in the forest products industry. According to Joachim Center Director William Tully, the forum will explore important scientific, engineering, management and societal considerations regarding these critical economic and environmental matters.
"The possibilities of such sustainable scientific and engineering developments are being explored at SUNY-ESF and in a number of forest products companies where innovative management and leadership can create a preferred future for the industry in society," Tully said.
On the first day of the Joachim Forum, a seminar will feature four distinguished experts who explore emerging innovations in the pulp and paper industry. Speakers include Shijie Liu, associate professor at SUNY-ESF; William J. Burke, technology manager of Johnson Controls; Peter Ince, senior research scientist at U.S. Forest Products Laboratory; and G. Ronald Brown, research director at Mead Westvaco Corp.
On the second day, a panel of experts drawn from corporate member leaders of the Syracuse Pulp and Paper Foundation, the Empire State Paper Research Associates and the ESF faculty will examine opportunities and educational needs for the forest products industry in a carbon constrained world.
Scholars and management professionals have been invited to attend. The forum is being held in conjunction with the annual meeting of the Syracuse Pulp and Paper Foundation and the fall meeting of the Empire State Paper Research Associates.
Dr. William P. Tully Director
Recent ESF News
- SUNY ESF Trails Link Adirondack Towns and Resources
- ESF Named a 2020 Economic Champion
- Grad Student's Photo Included in Global Exhibit
- Dr. Mark Teece Wins Teaching Award
- Global Database Is Resource for Ecological Monitoring in the Arctic
- SUNY Chancellor Malatras Visits ESF
- ESF Named Top Performer in 2020 Sustainable Campus Index
- ESF Honors Veterans with Ceremony Nov. 11
- ESF Professor Serves as Director for Multi-state Cooperative
- Chancellor Malatras Outlines Comprehensive Spring Semester Plan
- Dr. Jerrold Belant Named IUCN Voting Member
- Joanie Mahoney Named Fifth ESF President
- NSF Grant Funds Research to Help Better Manage Water Resources
- Dr. Brian Leydet Named 40 Under Forty Honoree
- Documenting Decades of Insights: Galapagos Giant Tortoises Soon to be Published
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210