ESF Announces New Name for Paper Engineering Program
Paper and Bioprocess Engineering
SYRACUSE, N.Y. The SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) has changed the name of its Faculty of Paper Science and Engineering to the Faculty of Paper and Bioprocess Engineering to reflect the addition of a new bioprocess engineering major.
The first and only program of its kind in the northeastern United States, the bioprocess engineering program seeks to train engineers who will work in the emerging bioprocessing and biofuels industry to produce energy and related chemical products from renewable resources.
Students in this program master a variety of subjects that are normally found in a chemical engineering program, and supplement those studies with advanced courses specific to bioprocess engineering. The program focuses on the use of wood and other renewable biomass materials to replace petroleum in energy and industrial product applications. Examples of this technology include the bioprocessing of ethanol, acetic acid, polymers, and other chemicals that have traditionally been produced from fossil fuels such as oil, coal and natural gas.
ESF has the distinction of housing the country's oldest continuously operating degree-granting program in paper science and engineering. Since our inception in 1920 ESF has been at the forefront of defining the frontiers of the field.
Recent ESF News
- Community Stewards to Receive ESF’s Feinstone Award
- ESF Scientist Helps Locate Wolf That Died on Isle Royale
- Cuomo Announces Initiative to Reimagine Erie Canal as Catalyst for Economic Development, Resiliency
- ESF Employees Honored with SUNY Chancellor's Awards
- Dr. Jacqueline Frair Presented with Exemplary Research Award
- ESF Student Designed Bridge Judged Most Innovative
- ESF College Foundation Honors Daley with Teaching Award
- 2019 Commencement: 'You Are My Family,' Student Speaker Says
- Students Recognize Contributions of Staff, Faculty
- ESF Announces Graduation Weekend Schedule
- ESF to Honor Dr. Bernard Amadei with Honorary Degree
- ESF Student Completes First Year of Leadership Training in Bioeconomy
- Patrick Jackson Honored as Green Building Advocate of the Year
- State Energy Official to Speak on ‘Green New Deal’
- ESF-SU Team Scores Win in DOE Solar Decathlon
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210