December 2006 Convocation
109 degrees awarded
The video originally included in this story is no longer available via this page. Contact email@example.com if more information is required.
The SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry awarded 109 degrees, including ten Doctors of Philosophy, during the 2006 December Convocation, December 8, 2006, at Hendricks Chapel.
Three alumni were also honored at the convocation. Curtis H. Bauer ’50 received the ESF Lifetime Achievement Award. Along with all of his other activities, Bauer has served on the ESF Board of Trustees for 30 years. Richard P. Wagenaar ’82 and Steven J. Anlian ’75 received the Alumni of Distinction Award. Colonel Wagenaar, a decorated military officer, is the leader of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in New Orleans, La. He took over the post just six weeks before Hurricane Katrina struck the Gulf Coast city. He is overseeing a $3 billion dollar project re-building the levees, waterways and wetlands destroyed by the hurricane.
Mr. Anlian has dedicated himself to rebuilding cities and homes devastated by disasters like the Armenian earthquake in 1989. He is director of infrastructure in the department of operations for the Millennium Challenge Corporation, a few federal corporation looking to redefine American foreign assistance.
Wagenaar and Anlian both said they were humbled by the ESF recognition and explained how their education helps them today and how it helped them chart a course in life.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Continues to Lead in World of Green Colleges
- ESF’s Barron Wins 2018 USCAA Golf National Championship
- ESF Celebrates Debut of Digital Storytelling Studio
- Volk to Present Travis Lecture on Shrub Willow
- ESF Center for CCDR Receives Federal Research Grant
- National Geographic Live and ESF Host National Geographic Explorer/Photographer Anand Varma
- Waste not, want not
- Landscape Architecture Students Celebrate PARK(ing) Day
- Scientists Turn to UN to Sound Alarm about World’s Oceans
- Mighty Oaks Welcome New Men's Basketball Coach
- Community Stewards to Receive ESF’s Feinstone Award
- ESF Launches ‘Discovery Challenge’
- Love it, don’t list it
- ESF Ranks among ‘Best Value’ Schools
- ESF’s Miniature Northern Hardwood Forest Gets a Lift
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210