SUNY-ESF Offers Mayfest Programs
Dr. Gary Scott & Phil Brown to speak
SYRACUSE, N.Y. Learn the science behind money, meet the author of a book about the Adirondacks and check out the latest student research as part of MayFest on April 24.
MayFest is a joint effort of the SUNY College of Enviornmental Science and Forestry (ESF) and Syracuse University: a campuswide, multivenue event highlighting the wide diversity of student creative works on the campuses.
On the ESF campus, Dr. Gary Scott will give a presentation called "Chemistry, Physics and Engineering: The Secrets of Money," from 1 to 2 p.m. in 211 Walters Hall.
Since paper was first used for money, people have tried to produce counterfeit bills. With the development of high-resolution scanners and color printers, the security features incorporated into money are becoming increasingly sophisticated. These features are incorporated into the currency throughout the production process, from the raw materials used, to papermaking, and to printing. Scott will discuss the various physical, chemical, and engineering aspects of paper especially as they apply to currency. Various security features of currency will be demonstrated, together with some demonstrations of the properties of paper.
Scott will discuss the role of scientists and engineers in the process of developing new products and technology. A series of chemical, physical, and paper demonstrations will be incorporated into the discussion to illustrate the job of the scientist and engineer.
Phil Brown, editor of the new book, "Bob Marshall in the Adirondacks: Writings of a Peak-Bagger, Pond-Hopper and Wilderness Preservationist," will talk on the life and writings of Bob Marshall. Brown will speak at 2 p.m. in 324 Bray Hall.
Students will take part in research poster presentations as part of SciMix from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on the floor of the Carrier Dome.
ESF’s Office of Admissions will offer campus tours at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. beginning from the headquarters tent on the SU Quad.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Continues to Lead in World of Green Colleges
- ESF’s Barron Wins 2018 USCAA Golf National Championship
- ESF Celebrates Debut of Digital Storytelling Studio
- Volk to Present Travis Lecture on Shrub Willow
- The ESF Center for Community Design Research Receives Federal Research Grant
- National Geographic Live and ESF Host National Geographic Explorer/Photographer Anand Varma
- Waste not, want not
- Landscape Architecture Students Celebrate PARK(ing) Day
- Scientists Turn to UN to Sound Alarm about World’s Oceans
- Mighty Oaks Welcome New Men's Basketball Coach
- Community Stewards to Receive ESF’s Feinstone Award
- ESF Launches ‘Discovery Challenge’
- Love it, don’t list it
- ESF Ranks among ‘Best Value’ Schools
- ESF’s Miniature Northern Hardwood Forest Gets a Lift
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210