SUNY-ESF Student Takes to the Road, Fueled by Biodiesel
ESF student and biodiesel maker Greg Boyd finishes first in division
The video originally included in this story is no longer available via this page. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if more information is required.
SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry student Greg Boyd, who has been manufacturing his own biodiesel fuel since he was in high school, participated in the 2007 Green Grand Prix Rally in Watkins Glen on Friday, July 6, 2007.
The third annual rally was hosted by the International Motor Racing Research Center and featured hybrid- and alternative-fueled vehicles competing on a 78-mile course around Seneca Lake. The event emphasizes energy independence and includes educational activities.
Boyd, a senior at ESF, works with a processor installed in a former greenhouse on the ESF campus. This fall, he plans to use waste oil from a dining hall at neighboring Syracuse University to produce biodiesel that can run in any unmodified diesel engine. He said it produces 70 percent less emissions than petroleum diesel.
Boyd has modified the fuel lines in his 1989 Mercedes Benz so the car runs on biodiesel.
Friday’s rally focused on precision driving. The drivers and their navigators received a list of directions that included driving time and speed, and they were judged according to their arrival times at specified checkpoints along the course. Vehicles in the hybrid class were also rated according to their fuel economy.
Boyd finished first in his division.
Recent ESF News
- State Energy Official to Speak on ‘Green New Deal’
- ESF-SU Team Scores Win in DOE Solar Decathlon
- Clarkson, ESF to Partner in New Center of Excellence
- Johnston Appointed Interim Open Academy Director
- Student Honored with Chancellor’s Award
- Kieber Named SUNY Distinguished Professor
- Oakie Enters Round 2 of Mascot Madness
- ESF Students Earn Spot in ‘Storyfest’ Finals
- EFB Faculty, Students Spend Spring Break in Ecuador
- Girls’ Summit, Take Our Kids to Work Day on the Horizon
- Oakie the Acorn Enters SUNY’s Mascot Madness
- ESF Ranked #1 for Enrolling, Graduating Women in Engineering
- ESF Announces Discovery Challenge Winners
- Career Fair 2019
- Illick 5 Renovations Provide Students with New Learning Environment
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210