Discover your world with SUNY-ESF at the State Fair
August 23 through September 3, Syracuse
SYRACUSE, N.Y. — Make paper, sample liquid nitrogen ice cream, design a river, make a birdfeeder, and learn about the latest in the environmental sciences. These are just a few of the things you can do and learn at the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry’s (ESF) exhibit at the New York State Fair Aug. 23 through Sept. 3.
The college will be at the fair with different activities, exhibits and demonstrations for visitors of all ages beginning at 10 a.m. daily at the ESF tent located in the New York State Parks at the State Fair area in front of the Horticulture Building.
The schedule of events is as follows:
- Thursday, Aug. 24 and Friday, Aug. 25 — Where in the World is ESF?
The Office of Research Programs will highlight research ESF is conducting around the globe.
- Saturday, Aug. 25 and Sunday, Aug. 26 — A River Runs Through It
The Department of Environmental Resources and Forest Engineering will give fairgoers the opportunity to experience basic principles of river behavior via a hands-on demonstration.
- Monday, Aug. 27 — From Molecules to Ecosystems
The Department of Environmental and Forest Biology will have information, exhibits, hands-on materials and answers to fair-goers’ questions on interest areas including biotechnology, aquatic and fisheries science, entomology, and invasive plant species.
- Tuesday, Aug. 28 — Knock on Wood
Learn the latest in the world of wood products engineering with the Department of Construction Management and Wood Products Engineering.
- Wednesday, Aug. 29 — The Wonders of Chemistry
Kids can learn the science behind liquid nitrogen ice cream or make slime with ESF’s Department of Chemistry.
- Thursday, Aug. 30 — Make Your Own Paper
Make hand-made paper with ESF’s Department of Bioprocess and Paper Engineering.
- Friday, Aug. 31 — Forest for the Trees
Learn about trees commonly found in New York State and about the Department of Forest and Natural Resources Management at ESF. Spruce and pine tree seedlings will be available along with planting information.
- Saturday, Sept. 1 — Nature Interpretation
Students from the Department of Environmental and Forest Biology will provide hands-on activities to introduce and familiarize fairgoers with the natural world.
- Sunday, Sept. 2 — Environmentally Friendly Arts & Crafts
Take a break from the hubbub of the fair and bring the kids over for some environmentally themed activities, including pinecone birdfeeders and CD locker magnets.
- Monday, Sept. 3 — Nature in Your Backyard
Investigate ecology in city and neighborhood environments with ESF’s SCIENCE Corps.
ESF’s exhibit is made possible through a cooperative agreement with New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation.
The college will also have an exhibit about its biomass research in the Horticulture Building 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 26. Rooted willow shrub cuttings will be available while supplies last.
Recent ESF News
- State Energy Official to Speak on ‘Green New Deal’
- ESF-SU Team Scores Win in DOE Solar Decathlon
- Clarkson, ESF to Partner in New Center of Excellence
- Johnston Appointed Interim Open Academy Director
- Student Honored with Chancellor’s Award
- Kieber Named SUNY Distinguished Professor
- Oakie Enters Round 2 of Mascot Madness
- ESF Students Earn Spot in ‘Storyfest’ Finals
- EFB Faculty, Students Spend Spring Break in Ecuador
- Girls’ Summit, Take Our Kids to Work Day on the Horizon
- Oakie the Acorn Enters SUNY’s Mascot Madness
- ESF Ranked #1 for Enrolling, Graduating Women in Engineering
- ESF Announces Discovery Challenge Winners
- Career Fair 2019
- Illick 5 Renovations Provide Students with New Learning Environment
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210