SUNY-ESF Making Own Biodiesel
17% of ESF fleet runs on biodiesel
The video originally included in this story is no longer available via this page. Contact email@example.com if more information is required.
SYRACUSE, N.Y. – A student at the SUNY-ESF College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) is using waste fryer oil from a nearby student dining hall to make biodiesel fuel that helps run ESF vehicles.
Seventeen percent of ESF’s vehicles now operate on biodiesel, including buses, trucks and even bulldozers. A third of the ESF fleet runs on some form of alternative fuel (e.g. electric, hybrid electric, compressed natural gas, and flex fuel, which is 85 percent ethanol and 15 percent unleaded gas).
Greg Boyd, a senior at ESF, works with a processor installed in former greenhouse on the ESF campus. He uses waste vegetable oil (fryer oil) from a dining hall at neighboring Syracuse University. The waste oil is strained and then pumped into the bioprocessor. Methanol is added to produce biodiesel. Sodium hydroxide is added as a catalyst for the methanol.
After 24 hours, the glycerol settles to the bottom and is siphoned off. ESF researchers are using the glycerol to make biodegradable plastic. Glycerol is already used in the manufacture of soap and a variety of make-up products.
The biodiesel is washed with water to remove any impurities and it is then ready for use in any modified diesel engine. Boyd says it produces 70 percent less emissions than petroleum diesel.
Boyd, who started making biodiesel when he was in high school, has modified the fuel lines in his 1989 Mercedes Benz so the car runs on biodiesel.
Recent ESF News
- Community Stewards to Receive ESF’s Feinstone Award
- ESF Scientist Helps Locate Wolf That Died on Isle Royale
- Cuomo Announces Initiative to Reimagine Erie Canal as Catalyst for Economic Development, Resiliency
- ESF Employees Honored with SUNY Chancellor's Awards
- Dr. Jacqueline Frair Presented with Exemplary Research Award
- ESF Student Designed Bridge Judged Most Innovative
- ESF College Foundation Honors Daley with Teaching Award
- 2019 Commencement: 'You Are My Family,' Student Speaker Says
- Students Recognize Contributions of Staff, Faculty
- ESF Announces Graduation Weekend Schedule
- ESF to Honor Dr. Bernard Amadei with Honorary Degree
- ESF Student Completes First Year of Leadership Training in Bioeconomy
- Patrick Jackson Honored as Green Building Advocate of the Year
- State Energy Official to Speak on ‘Green New Deal’
- ESF-SU Team Scores Win in DOE Solar Decathlon
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210