Discover your world with ESF at the New York State Fair
College hosts hands-on activities, highlights research at the fair
SYRACUSE, N.Y. — Make paper, sample liquid nitrogen ice cream, discover the power of water, make a birdfeeder, and learn about the latest in the environmental sciences. These are just a few of the things you can do and learn at the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry's (ESF) exhibit at the New York State Fair Aug. 21 through Sept. 1.
The college will be at the fair with different activities, exhibits and demonstrations for visitors of all ages beginning at 10 a.m. daily at the ESF tent located in the New York State Parks at the State Fair area in front of the Horticulture Building.
The schedule of events is as follows:
Thursday, Aug. 21 and Friday, Aug. 22 — Where in the World is ESF?
The Office of Research Programs will highlight research ESF is conducting around the globe.
Saturday, Aug. 23 and Sunday, Aug. 24 — Water Works
The Department of Environmental Resources and Forest Engineering will give fairgoers the opportunity to experience what water is capable of doing.
Monday, Aug. 25 — Environmentally Friendly Arts & Crafts
Take a break from the hubbub of the fair and bring the kids over for some environmentally themed activities, including making pinecone birdfeeders and CD locker magnets.
Tuesday, Aug. 26 — From Molecules to Ecosystems
The Department of Environmental and Forest Biology will have information, exhibits, hands-on materials and answers to fair-goers' questions on interest areas including biotechnology, aquatic and fisheries science, entomology, and invasive plant species.
Wednesday, Aug. 27 — Forest for the Trees
Learn about trees commonly found in New York State and about the Department of Forest and Natural Resources Management at ESF. Tree seedlings will be available along with planting information. Activity booklets and crayons will be available for children.
Thursday, Aug. 28 — The Wonders of Chemistry
Kids can learn the science behind liquid nitrogen ice cream or make slime with ESF's Department of Chemistry.
Friday, Aug. 29 — Make Your Own Paper
Make hand-made paper with ESF's Department of Bioprocess and Paper Engineering.
Saturday, Aug. 30 through Monday, Sept. 1 — Environmentally Friendly Arts & Crafts
Join ESF for environmentally themed activities, including pinecone birdfeeders and CD locker magnets.
ESF's exhibit is made possible through a cooperative agreement with New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation.
The college will also have an exhibit about its alternative energy research in the Vision New York exhibit located in the Center of Progress Building Aug. 21 through Aug. 29. An exhibit on ESF's biomass research will be located in the Horticulture Building 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 23 and Sunday, Aug. 24.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Weather Alert: Dangerously Cold Wind
- Dr. Chang Geun Yoo Receives NSF CAREER Award
- New SUNY Chancellor John B. King Visits ESF
- The New York State Center for Sustainable Materials Management Launches Statewide Zero Waste Call for Projects
- Staff Spotlight: Tyler Dorholt
- Mighty Oak Monday: Alex Paonessa
- Dr. Fred Agyeman Earns Honorable Mention for SUNY Chancellorís Distinguished PhD Dissertation
- ESF Adds EV Truck to Its University Police Fleet
- U.S. News & World Report Ranks ESF Among Best Online Programs
- Tell an Inspiring Story to Help Move the Planet Forward
- Staff Spotlight: Jacob Gedetsis
- ESF Chestnut Project Seeks Public Comment
- ESF Welcomes New Students for Spring Semester
- Governor Hochul Announces Green Purchasing Communities Program
- ESF Joins Global Alliance, Pledging Commitment to Protect Nature
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210