ESF Ranked Top 3 Green College for 2023
Princeton Review taps ESF as only SUNY in the Top 10
The SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) - the most distinguished institution in the nation that focuses on the study of the environment – secured a spot in the Top 3 on the Princeton Review's Top 50 Green Colleges annual ranking. ESF, the only SUNY school to make the list, ranked No. 3 for its specialized study options and commitment to developing innovative solutions to today's environmental issues.
"ESF continues to lead by example by incorporating sustainability and environmental science in not only our academic programs and research but also our campus operations. We're proud of the work done by our faculty and staff, and of our students who continually push us to find innovative ways to practice what we teach," said ESF President Joanie Mahoney.
According to The Princeton Review, there is an increasing interest among college applicants in attending colleges that are committed to the environment and to green practices. " Of the 10,400 college applicants participating in The Princeton Review's 2022 College Hopes & Worries Survey, an overwhelming majority—77%—said information about a college's commitment to the environment would affect their decision to apply to or attend the school. Of that cohort, 37% said such information would contribute "strongly" or "very much" to their decision about a school.
The Top 50 Green Colleges were ranked on student assessments of the influence of sustainability issues on their academic and campus experiences; administrator and student support for environmental awareness and conservation efforts; and the visibility and impact of student environmental groups on the campus. Nearly 700 U.S. colleges applied to participate. The list is part of the Princeton Review's Guide to Green Colleges: 2022 Edition, which is targeted to college applicants seeking schools with exemplary commitments to the environment and sustainability.
About SUNY ESF
The SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) is dedicated to the study of the environment, developing renewable technologies, and building a sustainable and resilient future through design, policy and management of the environment and natural resources. Members of the College community share a passion for protecting the health of the planet and a deep commitment to the rigorous application of science to improve the way humans interact with the world. The College offers academic programs ranging from the associate of applied science to the Doctor of Philosophy. ESF students live, study and do research on the main campus in Syracuse, N.Y., and on 25,000 acres of field stations in a variety of ecosystems across the state.
Recent ESF News
- Mighty Oak Monday: Melanie Carolina Berger
- ESF WEATHER ALERT: ESF Monitoring Wind Chill
- ESF Weather Alert: Dangerously Cold Wind
- Dr. Chang Geun Yoo Receives NSF CAREER Award
- New SUNY Chancellor John B. King Visits ESF
- The New York State Center for Sustainable Materials Management Launches Statewide Zero Waste Call for Projects
- Staff Spotlight: Tyler Dorholt
- Mighty Oak Monday: Alex Paonessa
- Dr. Fred Agyeman Earns Honorable Mention for SUNY Chancellorís Distinguished PhD Dissertation
- ESF Adds EV Truck to Its University Police Fleet
- U.S. News & World Report Ranks ESF Among Best Online Programs
- Tell an Inspiring Story to Help Move the Planet Forward
- Staff Spotlight: Jacob Gedetsis
- ESF Chestnut Project Seeks Public Comment
- ESF Welcomes New Students for Spring Semester
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210